Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Peace Returns
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Onionleaf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Onionleaf

It's a fairly straightforward arrangement so I thought I might as well submit it now. :)

mikey

unmotivated

mikey

unmotivated

Onionleaf

Haha, thanks for the bump! :P I've been away on a family trip for a week so wouldn't have been able to check in until now. But I'm all ears for any feedback at this time!

Zeila

Most of these are aesthetic/formating tips:
  • The text isn't properly aligned (for example, the title is slightly above the margin)
  • You're missing slurs on the grace notes
  • There needs to be pedal markings throughout the piece (otherwise it's impossible to play)
  • There should be a line (is there a difference between solid, dashed, and dotted?) that connects the left hand voice with the 1st staff (and back). Whenever you have the slurs I think it's fine, but there should be a line going back to the 2nd staff
  • In m2, you're missing a G (left hand), and the grace note should be an E
  • Good job aside from those!

Bespinben

Quote from: Zeila on January 07, 2016, 04:50:06 AM
  • There needs to be pedal markings throughout the piece (otherwise it's impossible to play)

Just wanted to clarify this (thanks for the other feedback!).

Directly stating usage of the pedal is often avoided. One common is, instead, to write a bass note in a lower layer to indicate pedal usage and the length thereof. This practice dates back to Debussy and Rachmaninoff, but I'll provide a more modern example. Below is an excerpt of an arrangement of "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" by Howard Helvey. Either we assume the publishers think we have a LH span of a 15th, or we assume that the sustained Eb in the lower layer of m. 83 is merely an indication in of itself to use the pedal. I opt for the latter.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Onionleaf

Quote from: Zeila on January 07, 2016, 04:50:06 AMMost of these are aesthetic/formating tips:
  • The text isn't properly aligned (for example, the title is slightly above the margin)
  • You're missing slurs on the grace notes
  • There should be a line (is there a difference between solid, dashed, and dotted?) that connects the left hand voice with the 1st staff (and back). Whenever you have the slurs I think it's fine, but there should be a line going back to the 2nd staff
  • In m2, you're missing a G (left hand), and the grace note should be an E
  • Good job aside from those!

• I didn't know titles need to be aligned to a margin. It was getting rather squished at the top, so I moved the title and sub-title up a bit. Is there a better way of doing this?
  • I zoomed in reeeeal close and added the tiny slurs. ;)
  • Thank you for the clarification on this point, Bespinben. :)
  • Hmm, I'm just wondering if lots of lines would clutter up the sheet or not... Anyway, I did add the dashed lines between staves, so let me know how it looks.
  • Sorry, I'm not quite sure which notes you mean. ^^" I'm hearing the same notes in the left hand in m. 2 as those in m. 4.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated! :) The files have been updated.

Zeila

Quote from: Onionleaf on January 08, 2016, 03:57:28 AM
  • I didn't know titles need to be aligned to a margin. It was getting rather squished at the top, so I moved the title and sub-title up a bit. Is there a better way of doing this?
You could just move the systems down. I'm not sure if there's a way to move a staff up or down in finale 2012, but I went ahead and did it for you anyways.

• Thank you for the clarification on this point, Bespinben. :)
Well you learn something new every day.. not like it's a bad thing or anything

• Hmm, I'm just wondering if lots of lines would clutter up the sheet or not... Anyway, I did add the dashed lines between staves, so let me know how it looks.
I think you missed a few but let me know if you (or anyone else) think the ones I added are unnecessary

• Sorry, I'm not quite sure which notes you mean. ^^" I'm hearing the same notes in the left hand in m. 2 as those in m. 4.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that I heard a G on the 3rd beat of m2 for the left hand voice instead of a rest. After listening to it more carefully, I think the grace note for it is actually a D (Instead of what I said earlier. Plus it makes more sense considering that the other grace note starts where the previous note was), but you should try to listen to it yourself and get other people's opinions on it. I don't know anything about the rest of the piece, but that measure just sounded off to me

Quote from: Onionleaf on January 08, 2016, 03:57:28 AMThank you for the feedback, much appreciated! :) The files have been updated.
np :3

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cynw7qppw17gnjm/Peace%20Returns.mus?dl=0

Onionleaf

I understand what you mean now, it makes perfect sense. Gah, I did indeed miss a few lines - this is what happens when I do arrangement stuff right before bed, lol. And you even sent me a link with the changes, yay! Merci!

I'll go update my submission in just a minute. ;)

Onionleaf

*meekly bumps the thread* Hiya, sorry for the rush, but if this can be looked at some time before Thursday, that would be super. I'll be busy packing by then and won't have much time to check in after that either. If I won't be available to update the files, feel free to fix them up yourselves, I won't mind at all. :) Thank you!

Zeta