News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Best way to treat a repeat?

Started by Altissimo, November 19, 2015, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Soo I'm working on this. The way it repeats itself is confusing me how best to write it. To wit, it moves approximately like this:
Intro [3 bars: 0:00-00:05]
A section [17 bars: 0:05-0:37]
B section [16 bars: 0:37-1:06]
Intro reprise [3 bars: 1:06-1:12]
C section [16 bars: 1:12-1:44]
B section reprise [16 bars: 1:44-2:13]

and then the entire piece repeats. The way I have it written now is basically as above - |:[Intro][A][B ][Intro][C][B ]:|. But I feel like there's a way to incorporate the repeated B section in, like with DC or DS or first/second endings. But none of my ideas so far have been successful. For instance:

[Intro][A]S|:[B ][Intro]DS[C]:| such that the roadmap would be Intro --> A --> B --> Intro --> C --> B --> Intro --> DS to A --> repeat from there. Except that in practice, the fact that the DS is in the B section means the playback (and possibly performer) wants to take the DS the first time around back to the S, which just results in Intro --> A --> B --> Intro --> A --> B which is not correct.

I also thought about using first/second endings and a DS:

[Intro]S[A]|:[B ][Intro]1[C]:|2[Intro]DS

except that this results in a first ending that's like 16 bars long and that just seems like it's too long.

Is the best way to write it really just re-writing the entirety of the B section or is there actually a better way to write it?

(For the record: It's part of my personal style to have repeats of the whole song in my arrangements of looping video game tracks, rather than just a double bar line. This would be easier if I weren't trying to fit an entire-repeat in, but alas)

Tobbeh99

I don't know if any repeats will help, haven't thought about it too much. But you don't got even 2 sections in a row that are the same so I think it won't work. You can also think of the form and presentation of the sheet: if it will make it easier to read the sheet or if it will make it harder and more confusing, not only if you can save paper and inc.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh