[3DS] Pokémon X/Y - "FIN" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, January 26, 2015, 05:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Quote from: Brassman388 on January 27, 2015, 04:06:01 AMAlso, I'm not an updater.
I know! That was the basis of my praise to you.

Quote from: Brassman388 on January 27, 2015, 04:06:01 AMWrite it out with all the changes and I'll get back to it. The only way we'll know is if we 'see' it. You know what I mean?
Wait... so like... write up an alternate one with the way you'd recommended, and compare it side by side? Currently, I've attempted to defend everything as it is so far, except for the irksome chords.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Brassman388

Write it out with the middle ground we've established. I have an idea of what that looks like, but I'm not going to do that. I already did the first draft.

Be kind and rewind. If you catch my drift.

Also, I added a couple of more things to the post with all my suggested revisions. Do take a look at that when revising and give me your thoughts.

Latios212

Whoooaaaa... just woke up and trying to understand what's happening here... O.O
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on January 26, 2015, 10:54:35 PMQuestion: Is the official name for this song all capitals? or is it lowercase?
Oh, right. It is all in caps. Still trying to process everything else you and Brassman said....

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Brassman388 on January 27, 2015, 03:39:47 AMAs for the second layer thing in the bass, I guess it should be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine since my other half thinks so. *Sigh*
When did we get hitched??  :o

I think when done properly (and obviously depending on the situation), the layering thing can better communicate phrasing and musical lines than truncating everything into one layer and using pedal markings. But that's just my 2 cents.

Quote from: Bespinben on January 27, 2015, 04:00:15 AMHey don't sigh! I don't get to have these sort of discussions very often.
I definitely agree, it's great to get to debate these things.

Bespinben

Welcome to the battlefield Latios.

OKIE DOKEY. Here's the revised product:
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

You'll first notice that I unhid all the dashed lines - this was because now that the RH 2nd layer note duration varies, one simply can't write simile to assume the same pattern. You can also see a lot of the work I did on measures 15 & 16.

Quote from: Brassman388 on January 27, 2015, 03:08:15 AMLast, but not least. I'm not sure what the use is on 'little' notes, but my use is sorta non-existant. It is even more so when the intervals that you're trying to get the player to play is more than an octave, as well.

There are 3 different uses I've seen for the "little notes". One usage is as a grace note (ex: m. 3, 9, & 12). Another usage is as a cue note, that is, the music is complete either without or without it (ex: m. 16 [also see the closing measure of the following hymn: https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/our-saviors-love?lang=eng][Despite that, I still omitted the bass A in m.16, but you can see here that it's still acceptable. I am going to keep the A in the RH small though, because that A is not present in the original soundtrack, hence the small note]). A third usage (and I don't know the name exactly for it), has a function akin to rolling a chord, making a viable substitute for breaking the monopoly of arpeggio markings. An example you can find in Albert Hay Malotte's rendition of "The Lord's Prayer" (http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0104233&ref=google) - see measures 5 and 7. This was usage intended for measures 2 and 10 of "FIN".

Quote from: Brassman388 on January 27, 2015, 03:08:15 AMIn measure 12, the suspended 'e' on beat two the treble line isn't needed. I say that because it's played as a grace note later making its point.

I agree that with the pedal being used, the grace note could fill for the sustained E on beat 2, but for the sake of maintaining the clear presentation of the 4 voice harmony of that measure, I believe it is expedient to keep it. Don't want voices dropping in or out from nowhere. 

Brassman388

Quote from: Bespinben on January 27, 2015, 05:50:42 AMWelcome to the battlefield Latios.

OKIE DOKEY. Here's the revised product:
You'll first notice that I unhid all the dashed lines - this was because now that the RH 2nd layer note duration varies, one simply can't write simile to assume the same pattern. You can also see a lot of the work I did on measures 15 & 16.

There are 3 different uses I've seen for the "little notes". One usage is as a grace note (ex: m. 3, 9, & 12). Another usage is as a cue note, that is, the music is complete either without or without it (ex: m. 16 [also see the closing measure of the following hymn: https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/our-saviors-love?lang=eng][Despite that, I still omitted the bass A in m.16, but you can see here that it's still acceptable. I am going to keep the A in the RH small though, because that A is not present in the original soundtrack, hence the small note]). A third usage (and I don't know the name exactly for it), has a function akin to rolling a chord, making a viable substitute for breaking the monopoly of arpeggio markings. An example you can find in Albert Hay Malotte's rendition of "The Lord's Prayer" (http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0104233&ref=google) - see measures 5 and 7. This was usage intended for measures 2 and 10 of "FIN".

I agree that with the pedal being used, the grace note could fill for the sustained E on beat 2, but for the sake of maintaining the clear presentation of the 4 voice harmony of that measure, I believe it is expedient to keep it. Don't want voices dropping in or out from nowhere.

Good.

Fine. It's just, to me, the little notes imply something that should be played. I haven't seen them too much on solo piano music. Plenty as cues in group music. But it doesn't look bad and I guess it works for the time being. Job well done.

Fine. Just be careful when using a four part harmony mentality when writing piano music. You wouldn't think it, but sometimes, less is more.

What are your thoughts, Deku?

Brassman388

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 27, 2015, 05:10:17 AMWhen did we get hitched??  :o

Is that what that means? Haha.

I suppose it's a partnership of some kind. But don't think I'm such an easy catch. I may be sleazy but I ain't easy.

mikey

unmotivated

Brassman388

The Deku Trombonist

Sure, looks fine. Bespinben, edit the new files into the submission and it should be good to go.

Bespinben

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Deku Trombonist.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot