News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Solos

Started by Clanker37, July 11, 2014, 03:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

So say if you were arranging a song with a solo section, which is quite obviously a solo section, would you need to transcribe the solo(s) in said arrangement to get it accepted on to the site? Can you just put "Opening for solos" and leave it blank or write your own? Very curious to see how this would work.

Echo

What song is this, out of curiosity?

Anyway, not really sure if I understand the question, since the sheets on site are for solo piano anyway, so I don't get why the solo wouldn't be written out. Personally, I would transcribe the solos, and if I felt like it, put the chords down and then write something like "ad-lib or as written." Don't know what the official policy is though, for things like this.

Clanker37

The thought came to me after listening to these songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QoUMjIp6xM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4226ScF5tU

I was thinking of arranging them, but then I wondered if by transcribing the solos, I would detract from the spontaneity of the pieces, which is likely what the composer intended. (Given that that's what solos are about).

Jompa

I mean, what would seem like the obvious answer to that would be yes, you have to transcribe the solos, but..
There are definitely cases where I wouldn't do that, and would rather specify the performer to improvise. Because of my bad internet I only got to listen to that first song there, but in that case I wouldn't want to put any of those solos in a piano arrangement.
Birdo for Smash

FierceDeity

If you're doing this for the site, I'd recommend that you write out the solo, and include the lettered chord progression, along with "ad lib solo opt." or "written solo opt." for the section (I've seen both), or something like that. Just because improvisation is the spirit of the piece, doesn't mean that our visitors will be familiar with improvisation, or even have the desire to learn. Personally, I hate it when somebody resorts to a prewritten solo in an actual big band setting, but what somebody does within the comfort of their own home is up to them, and including both leaves them that choice.