News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Beginning Measure

Started by Bubbles, September 17, 2012, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

In this song Im arranging now, at the very beginning of the song is a 1 and 1/2 or so beats of the song's opening, then the song actually starts. The song loops infinetly, but when it loops it doesnt include the intro. I dont know what its called or if it even exists, but I remember seeing something in some other sheet music that had something like the first measure being shorter than the rest (its hard to explain). When I loop the song I cant end it on the right beat or start the repeat on the beginning of a measure. It might be because I just have it in the wrong key signature, but Ive tried 3/4 and 4/4 and it still doesnt work (Though it might be 12/8 but I want to be sure before i rewrite it for the 3rd time)

Heres the song

MaestroUGC

That is an Anacrusis, or Pick-up in layman's terms. When you start a new file, it should give you the choice to create a shortened bar with only the note values needed. You'd then place a repeat following the pick-up measure for the desired effect.

The meter is in 4/4, so the anacrusis should equal a dotted quarter note.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Bubbles

Does finale notepad have it? I dont see it :/

MaestroUGC

Notepad does not, so you'd need somebody to prep the sheet for you; although common notation practice has it that the final measure features the missing beats from the anacrusis, and since the piece repeats roundly on an full measure, you're supposed to have the first measure be a full four beats, unless you write an ending in which you'd need to follow the above rule.

Although I'm not certain how concerned people are with that here as I never follow that rule myself.

Bubbles

So you mean the pickup measure should be at the end instead of the beginning? Or that the last measure should have the beats that I didnt put in the pickup...Im not sure I understand what youre saying

MaestroUGC

The pick-up measure just has the beats needed, in this case the dotted quarter; the last measure should only have the missing beats from the pick-up, a half and a eighth here.

Bubbles

Oh ok I get it. But wouldnt that always be the case, since when it repeats the measure would be too long since it should only be a half beat and an 8th?

MaestroUGC

It would but it depends on the music itself. This piece actually has a full measure before it repeats, so the sheet should reflect the same.