News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Pokémon - Mt. Moon (arr. flunnul)

Started by flunnul, March 18, 2015, 03:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flunnul

Hey, I rearranged the theme from Mt. Moon, since I felt that some aspects of the arrangement already posted (time and key signatures, etc.) were a bit off, though not totally wrong.  It just felt more natural and easier to read with my adaptation. Feedback would be appreciated (preferably from someone with considerable musical knowledge, if possible).  Thanks!

[PDF]

[Original PDF]

Bespinben

Woohoo! Love new arrangers. A theory-conscious one you seem to appear to be also (yay!)

Just as you said, it looks like all that you changed from Qwerty's arrangement was the metrical divisions (and a key sig change in m. 29)), so that I will address.

There's been big much commotion before on NSM about this song - whether the 4/4 sections are syncopation, or mixed meter (like 8/8) (http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6254.0). That said, I'm partial towards the 8/8 interpretation, as other places in the song are in 6/8 or 7/8.

The problem with your key signature modifications is that they are inconsistent. M. 29-36 you wrote in C, but the chord for that whole section is F augmented. I'm also of the opinion that no key changes are requisite for this song. However, assuming we changed the key for a new chord (like you did at m. 29-36), that would mean we would also have to write m. 5-8 & 37-40 in E major, which of course we did not.

Hope to see more stuff!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

flunnul

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Regarding the key signature changes, I was reluctant at first to change m. 29-36 to C in the middle of the song, due to lack of consistency (as you mentioned).  However, all the accidentals next to each other when written in B looked too gross and hard to read to take up so much of the page.

And changing it to C just seemed to clean it up rather nicely (in my opinion), though I technically could (and should) have used F.  Also, seeing as there isn't a single flat anywhere else, introducing a flat by changing to the key of F would probably just confuse some poor Pokémon-savvy pianist.

In the other sections where the chord changes (m. 5-8 & 37-40), on the other hand, there aren't any more accidentals needed than in the rest of the arrangement, so keeping those in B seemed fine to me.

I guess it all boils down to whether or not you want to get extremely technical over video game music.

I mean, it's sheet music from Pokémon, not some Harpsichord Concerto or something.

Jompa

I refuse to believe that anyone really hear this as 8/8 (3+3+2), instead of just mistakenly giving too much credit to the syncopations and the underlying (syncopated) rhythmic figure. I sound like I just hate mixed meters and stuff, but this song is not a case of mixed meters. Nothing in the song makes it sound like that.
Quote from: Bespinben on March 18, 2015, 08:02:02 PMI'm partial towards the 8/8 interpretation, as other places in the song are in 6/8 or 7/8.
That is completely irrelevant though (unless you would mean 8/8 as 2+2+2+2).
Birdo for Smash

flunnul

I just believe it should be in 8/8 time simply because I feel it flows better as 3+3+2. That's how I've always grouped the notes in my head, and the mixed meter conveyed it well. That's my personal opinion, and you have yours.

Also, since 6/8 time signatures can be grouped as 3+3, I don't see how what Bespinben said about it is irrelevant.

Perhaps you should be more open to other people's opinions, as it could be interpreted multiple ways.
(Honestly all I wanted to do was share my arrangement. I didn't realize people had such strong opinions about it.)

Jompa

QuoteAlso, since 6/8 time signatures can be grouped as 3+3, I don't see how what Bespinben said about it is irrelevant.
It is very irrelevent as to how a section of the song being in 6/8 would be a reason for justifying the song being in 8/8 (with odd groupings) (I think my english sucked there for a moment). 6/8 is supposed to be grouped 3+3, so ofc that's not what I'm referring to.
QuoteI just believe it should be in 8/8 time simply because I feel it flows better as 3+3+2. That's how I've always grouped the notes in my head, and the mixed meter conveyed it well. That's my personal opinion, and you have yours.
If you say something like "I totes hear it in odd groupings" I couldn't do much to prove you wrong. What you're saying here kinda hints towards what I'm saying: You hear it as 4/4 (2+2+2+2), but you base the time sig of the song's constant underlying rhythm, though for no valid reason.
QuotePerhaps you should be more open to other people's opinions, as it could be interpreted multiple ways.
Sure, I seem like someone who don't care about other's opinions because of this, but the real case is that I don't believe there is a possibility for different opinions at all on this exact case. There are many cases of odd meters out there, and 99% of those are more complicated than this little tune, and I have in many cases heard something different from the people around me, and that's completely fine. But as I said, in this case I don't believe anyone really actually hear it that way.
If it makes you feel better, think of it as "just someone else's opinion", as that's all this is.
Quote(Honestly all I wanted to do was share my arrangement. I didn't realize people had such strong opinions about it.)
Look, it is great that you have arranged something and want to share it. I'm not trying to discurage you, I'm just giving you input on what's correct ("my opinion"), but I can't control your mind if you think something else.
So I guess there really is no point arguing about it, other than saying our opinions.
Birdo for Smash

DonValentino

Always sounded like syncopation to me, but it's your arrangement after all, so if you prefer 8/8, go ahead. I think it would be overkill though...