News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

A Second Star in our Solar System?

Started by Ragster, April 22, 2012, 06:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragster

I don't know about you guys, but I love astronomy. I would travel the entire galaxy if I could!

Anyways, more importantly, scientists revealed to have found a star right outside of our solar system. It is a very dim and cold star, only at an average of 300 degrees Fahrenheit, known as a Brown Dwarf Star. There are so many different articles on this that some of the info is hard to believe, so I'm not gonna say too much about it and then figure out that I'm lying. Anyways, here is a link for more stuff about it:

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=14250 - They refer to this mainly as a large planet rather than a Dwarf Star.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(hypothetical_star) - Here's a new article that I stumbled across. Read the part about the planet Sedna, that really backs up the theory of this star!

...And here are some pictures on the matter:

The image on the top shows the dwarf star in orbit around the solar system, and the one below shows the dwarf star in it's own orbit very close to the solar system. Some stuff I really don't know what to believe, I just know that it's really damn close.

Yeah, I just thought this was kind of cool. Maybe I'll stir up a discussion or something. :)

blueflower999

Dang! That is cool! I didn't know there were any other stars that close.  :o
Bulbear! Blueflower999

the_last_sheikah

FINALLY!! Someone to share my love of science with!  I too love astronomy, my current aspirations are to become an aerospace engineer (rocket scientist).
This is really cool.  It just goes to show you how little we know about our solar system.

P.S. click it, you won't http://www.spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccee.com/
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

Wrydryn

2011 02 20

The article was posted then. :|

Any new articles since then?

SuperFireKirby

Isn't Jupiter also considered a brown dwarf?

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ragster

^ It's specified as a gas giant, brown dwarf's are a type of stars.

For Wry, no, I can't find anything later then this, which was posted in August:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eRaE-pWltA&feature=related

Pretty freaky NASA interview. He states that the star will come so close that the magnetic field will wipe your brain of your memory. :P I don't know about that, seems kind of unbelievable to me, but of course that's a NASA member talking.

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Ruto

I've heard this before but I've never really read about it in detail. Maybe I should...

I can contact an astronomy professor if you like and ask xD That's what I get for being a nerd and having no other friends when I started college...and the amateur astronomer thing yah.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Ragster

^ That'd be great, because I really want to know all about this.

If you guys have Google Earth, type in these coordinates in the search bar when your in the sky viewer:

5h 53m 27s, -6 10' 58

Weird, huh? An image was cut out. A person on youtube said that it used to have the picture of the dwarf star, only in this picture it was red. Look right below the black void and you'll see half of star that was cut off. I have my doubts that that was actually where the dwarf star was (seeing how in the reports it says that its extremely difficult to see), but even if it was, why would they hide it from us? :-\

Wrydryn

It might just be overlapping images as they are put together to create it and the different exposure levels messed it up.

Also I doubt the magnetic field would wipe your memory, it's not like an EMP does that.