News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Feeling the Pulse

Started by insaneintherain, February 19, 2012, 08:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insaneintherain

I was looking at some arrangements lately and realized that some of them are not using time signature correctly. For example, on k-Night's arrangement of the DQ9 Overture, there should be a pickup bar of 1 beat before the fast section comes it, if you can thing of it. That pickup bar is not included, which makes reading very difficult. As a rule to arrangements, I think that time signature should be used with more emphasis. Time signatures do not merely provide an open field in which to put notes, but they define strong beats as well.

Olimar12345

Quote from: insaneintherain on February 19, 2012, 08:03:44 PMI was looking at some arrangements lately and realized that some of them are not using time signature correctly.
We are in the process of fixing older sheets that are written like this.

Quote from: insaneintherain on February 19, 2012, 08:03:44 PMTime signatures do not merely provide an open field in which to put notes, but they define strong beats as well.

You are 100% correct.

EDIT: That sheet isn't on the site yet-he posted it on his arrangement topic. It's there to recieve criticism by others until he and the updaters think it's ready. you should go let him know what you think so he can better his piece.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

K-NiGhT

Quote from: insaneintherain on February 19, 2012, 08:03:44 PMFor example, on k-Night's arrangement of the DQ9 Overture, there should be a pickup bar of 1 beat before the fast section comes it, if you can thing of it. That pickup bar is not included, which makes reading very difficult.
Thank you for taking a look at my sheet! Yeah, i've been meaning to fix that. But when i try to it messes up the rest of the song and i get frustrated and ragequit.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

insaneintherain

Quote from: K-NiGhT on February 19, 2012, 08:26:38 PMThank you for taking a look at my sheet! Yeah, i've been meaning to fix that. But when i try to it messes up the rest of the song and i get frustrated and ragequit.

Well, I've been looking for a good arrangement of DQIX:Overture for AGES and I finally found a good one. I guess you could just manually put it in over again. Btw, K-NiGhT, the sixteenth notes you have in the opening fanfare that play sort of as a background to the long, sustained, high notes, should be 16th triplets, not straight notes.

The time signature thing should be cracked down on. There are a LOT of arrangements out there that have this flaw. I think I saw one in a Super Mario Galaxy: Battlerock Galaxy or something.

spitllama

You sound pretty good at figuring out time signatures, which is my weakest part of arranging. Anytime you wanna drop some comments or distasteful criticism feeeeel free. I need it.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Olimar12345

Quote from: insaneintherain on February 19, 2012, 08:58:45 PMThe time signature thing should be cracked down on.

Hello new best friend.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

insaneintherain

:D
Yay. Musical geniuses unite! Or is it genii???

Olimar12345

Idk but I can't stand things like time and key sigs that are incorrectly used. Correct formatting is my other best friend.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 19, 2012, 09:10:58 PMIdk but I can't stand things like time and key sigs that are incorrectly used. Correct formatting is my other best friend.
*raises hands up* guilty.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

insaneintherain

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 19, 2012, 09:10:58 PMIdk but I can't stand things like time and key sigs that are incorrectly used. Correct formatting is my other best friend.
Oh, so you're the other half of me that got lost at birth.

JDMEK5

I'm not very good with formatting stuff. I love figuring out key/time signatures though... :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

Same. And yeah I've noticed this. -_- I edited DrP's Nuvema Town arrangement quite a while ago so that it was in the proper time signature, 6/8, rather than in cut time (i.e. looking totally awful). I sent it to him but he never replaced it. It's a great arrangement but really looks bad when it's in regular 4/4 time. The time signature thing really irks me tbh :P
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.