News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Ninsheet Answers

Started by spitllama, August 18, 2011, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

Because I dislike Yahoo Answers with great intensity (stupid point system), here is Ninsheet Answers. Ask a question and I'm sure you'll be able to find a nerd to answer it (or look it up for you, ya lazy bum) ;)

Does anyone know what biologically causes some plants to produce delicious fruit while others don't? The reason I say "biologically" is cause my mom said "Well that's just how God made it" >:(
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

DrP

It's probably the genetic material in the plant or something like that. It's definitely an internal factor, so things like the sun, rain, nitrates, soil... has no effect (this is me thinking)

Take a look at Raspberries. Sometimes they're tart tasting and sometimes they're really sweet. That is because of the sun and everything like that.. yada yada yada.

Some fruit from plants are used to carry seeds, others to be eaten by predators, others to do both. Otherwise, I have no clue. I still say genetics

If this doesn't get answered, I'll ask my professor when I take a Botany class in the Spring.

triforced1

I had a unit in Biology last year on mutations that assumed that we all came from a common ancestor. And that we just got this way by mutations in the genetic code. So there's my answer, that there was one plant or a couple plants that made different kinds of fruit but was altered heavily over the years by mutations.

Winter

I believe that since seeded fruit are meant to be digested by animals to spread the fruit to other areas, the deliciousness of the fruit is based on what animal it is meant to be eaten by, meaning (some animal somewhere) must have a liking for non-human delicious fruit.

SlowPokemon

WINTER WTF YOU CHANGED YOUR USERNAME
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

triforced1

Slow, our resident genius.

MassiveMayhem

Hey I just noticed that since he pointed it out.
Arrangement Project? It's a maybe.

fingerz

Whoa! This changes everything!  :o
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

DrP

damn... I can't change mine... ARRGH.

(Can you change mine winter... to DrP).

Winter

Er.... maybe.

And yes, i was tired of the word "kid" following everything I do.

Winter

KefkaticFanatic

PM JaMaHa with your request.  I had mine changed a long while back.  So long as people don't abuse username changes then it shouldn't be a problem.

me irl
[close]

Winter

^yeah, the only reason I didn't say that was cause I didn't want him to get overwhelmed.

If you do, make sure to specify whether you're only changing your display name, or your login name too. It'll save him time.