News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Sheet Music Categories

Started by pumpy_heart, September 30, 2010, 12:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpy_heart

There seems to be either too many side categories on the site; or not enough.

When looking at them, some are definitely full of music from tons of games: Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Super Mario, Zelda and so on. Then there are some with few games, but tons of music: Golden Sun, Animal Crossing, Banjo Kazooie. However, there are some with many games, but few music at all, such as Harvest Moon and Metal Gear Solid.

When looking at those in the side bar, one also notices the "More..." section. In here, we have the same situation of sorts. Some games are not in a series but have a lot of songs, like Chrono Trigger and GoldenEye 007, while some games are in series and have quite a bit of songs, like Advance Wars, Dark Cloud, Earthbound (with Mother), Kingdom Hearts, and Phoenix Wright.

Would refreshing the side bar categories be such a bad idea? Add Advance Wars, Dark Cloud, Earthbound, and Phoenix Wright while taking away Harvest Moon and Metal Gear Solid. Kingdom Hearts arguably should be with the Final Fantasy music already, but a separate category for that series is not a bad idea either. This keeps the site look fresh as well as give more motivation to the arrangers to arrange, as each would want the best for his/her series.

What do you guys think?

Ruto

I AGREE.  I guess Harvest Moon (despite having some good tracks) never really took off since Natsume messed up almost every North American release to date. Maybe I can ask the kid sister to fill it  :D

Anyone online that can change this soon, though? It sounds like a bit more work than editing the game titles/categories though. Could there also be a much longer sidebar? For the games with more than 20 sheets, let's say...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

The Deku Trombonist

I'm pretty sure all that needs to be done is for the existing sheets to be deleted from their current category and for them to be reuploaded in a new category. Although in practice, it could end up being more work than it sounds.

Nintendude73

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 01, 2010, 04:02:24 AMI'm pretty sure all that needs to be done is for the existing sheets to be deleted from their current category and for them to be reuploaded in a new category. Although in practice, it could end up being more work than it sounds.
This.

The Deku Trombonist

But that still leaves the need for someone to determine what the new categories are.

pumpy_heart

I have the most suggestions in my last paragraph there.
If taking away is too big of a hassle, at least adding the others would clean up the More... section and showing the internet more of what Ninsheetmusic has to offer from the first page.

The Deku Trombonist

I'm not really for taking categories away, but I think we could definitely add a "Dark Cloud" section.

A "Mother/Earthbound" section sounds like a good idea but I'll have to look through them all and work out whether they've been put in the correct game and whatnot or whether they've just been 'dumped' in Earthbound.

As for Kingdom Hearts...eh, it's only got 6 arrangements. Unless someone is planning to do a whole bunch of music from it, in which case moving it to a new section would save some effort in the future.

Perhaps we could get another mod's opinion on this?

Shadoninja

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 04, 2010, 08:54:15 PMA "Mother/Earthbound" section sounds like a good idea but I'll have to look through them all and work out whether they've been put in the correct game and whatnot or whether they've just been 'dumped' in Earthbound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_the_EarthBound_series#EarthBound
this should help.
I have the NSFs and SPCs if you need any double checking.

new age retro hippie, pollyana, in winter, and store(which should be renamed to "Humoresque of a Little Dog") were in mother(earthbound zero)
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

The Deku Trombonist

Awesome, thanks for your help. I'll try and got to that later today. In the mean time, I'm arrangin'  :)

Jamaha

The whole categories system needs an overhaul, just like the editing tool for the sheets database.