News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

A few music questions

Started by Master_Z, January 26, 2010, 04:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master_Z

1) What program do most people on here use? I know Finale, I'm just not sure which version.

2) Which is better, Sibelius 6 or Finale 2010? I'm thinking about buying one.

3) What are some general tips for a beginning composer like myself?

Thanks.

Nintendude73

1) I don't know what version of Finale most people here use, since any version of Finale is acceptable, as any version of Finale works with any other versions of the same year or lower (and Finale Reader can read all of them).  Only songs created with Finale are added to the site.

2) I've heard arguments for both, but like I said above, only arrangements created with Finale are added to this site.  However, other sites do accept .sib files and someone really nice might be willing to transfer your arrangement to a .mus file.  Ask for other opinions.

And I don't really have any advice on your 3rd question.  I hope some

universe-X

1) It'd be better to use Finale 2010.

2) Sibelius music-wise. Finale get-on-the-site-wise.

3) Go with your soul and it should guide you in the right way. :) Have a nice time on NSM!

MaestroUGC

3) Wherever you go make sure you have a pencil and some paper. You never know when a melody can flow into you.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

KefkaticFanatic

Hook up a keyboard to your computer.  Writing music into Finale is ass without it.

me irl
[close]

raymondbl

Sibelius has better sounds, but Finale has more composing tools and is better for composing complicated sheets.  i don't know how to put in dynamics in sibelius!

universe-X

Sibelius is expensive, from what I heard. Finale is better only by the year.

GreekGeek

1) Answered before I guess ;)

2) IMO, Sibelius is far superior. But that's because I'm used to Sibelius. The way of inputing notes is more straight-forward and faster.
You'll just need Finale to place arrangments on this site =P

3) It may sound a bit dumb, but listen to a lot of genres. That way, you'll develop a more musical way of listening. If you've heard a lot of music, it'll be easier to create some own music yourself. Be inspired.
Purely practional: start with a chord progression and notate it in the computer.
Then play it back and jam along with it 'till you got a melody you like.

dahans

3) I agree with GreekGeek. That's how I am used to do. Just play a few chords and then you can develop the melody.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!