News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Triplets

Started by PianoMan, June 21, 2008, 03:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-Real-Link

Quote from: pumpy_heart on June 21, 2008, 08:07:46 PMIf a song rarely uses triplets, it doesnt need to be in 12/8. But if it uses it quite frequently, it should be in 12/8
That's not always true though. Some songs will have triplets in one hand, while playing complex parts in the other, and the original is in 4/4. Ex: Suteki da Ne!

KefkaticFanatic

This topic is correct.  People don't know how to use correct time signatures or types of notes and just resort to triplets.  It can be incredibly annoying.

me irl
[close]

B-Kpianist

I notice some people tell me to "make the sheet less ugly by changing the triplets to dotted 8th's followed by 16th's cuz it's the same thing". If someone else tells you to do that, don't- change the key. Although the sound is similar, it's counted differently, and makes it sound wrong.

Which brings me to a question:
Windy from Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded- would that be in 12/8 since there's a lot of triplets?

The-Real-Link

Quote from: B-Kpianist on December 03, 2008, 06:11:03 PMI notice some people tell me to "make the sheet less ugly by changing the triplets to dotted 8th's followed by 16th's cuz it's the same thing". If someone else tells you to do that, don't- change the key. Although the sound is similar, it's counted differently, and makes it sound wrong.

Which brings me to a question:
Windy from Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded- would that be in 12/8 since there's a lot of triplets?
A Quarter-Eighth triplet is different than a Dotted eighth-sixteenth, you are correct. the dotted rythem is a little straighter and more angular, while the triplet rythem is smoother with more of a swing.