[DELETED] [NES] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - "Battle For The Glory" by Sapphire

Started by Zeta, December 03, 2023, 11:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Battle For The Glory
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sapphire

Fantastic Ike

Hey, nice to see more Dragon Quest!

Is this your first sheet submitted? Normally you attach a link to the submission post, like this:

A couple things I'm noticing right off the bat:

• Composer credits are mashed up against the title. Could definitely move them down
  • This honestly brings out a layout issue in general. Most of page one and some of page two looks fine, but towards the end the measures are all smooshed together. Since we don't want just a single measure on page three either, I'd recommend a bit less measures per system and space them out, especially considering the time signature change.
  • You really oughta have a dynamic at the beginning. Mezzoforte or forte?
  • Since this song loops, you need a repeat. Da capo would probably be best, since it sounds like it loops straight back to the beginning.
  • I don't play piano, but even that jump on m24 from the low F to 2 octaves up seems incredibly hard at that tempo, to say the least. For playability's sake, maybe move that high F down an octave? Might not be as accurate, but definitely easier to play.
  • Might also wanna re-look at rhythm grouping in the odd time signatures.

I'm not getting into the meat of this arrangement, as others are better qualified, but hope that's a good start for you!

Sapphire

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm new here. I went in and fixed up some things and I think it looks better, but let me know if there's anything that's still wrong. Thanks

Fantastic Ike

Definitely a lot better already! If you're gonna keep all the systems on the first page, I'd suggest maybe making the space between them a bit tighter. That way you can have more breathing room for the title/composer section.

Other miscellaneous things I noticed:
  • On m17 the pianissimo is getting run through by the crescendo. Just have the crescendo start after the marking.
  • There's definitely some rhythm grouping still needing to be done in the odd time signature area. For the 5/4, I'd break up one of the quarter notes (probably the Es on 3.5) into two tied eighth notes. 7/8, I'd probably break that "whole note" into a half tied to a dotted quarter. Maybe also play with beaming on the eighth-sixteenth section. You might be fine with the 5/8. Ultimately it's all about being as clear as possible with the rhythms and subdivisions.

That's about all for my feedback...I'm no updater though, just a humble arranger. Again, I'm not great at parsing note accuracy here, but I recognize the tune so I think you're in pretty good shape. I think the main issue from here on out might be playability with some of these runs, but I'm not a pianist so I'll defer judgment to others. Hope this helps :)

Kricketune54

Just wanted to give this a quick bump for Sapphire, are you going to be able to respond to feedback for this arrangement?

Us updaters will make posts on each submission for the first round of feedback (thank you Fantastic Ike for your contribution on checking this sheet); once that's done, the sheet is considered approved. The next updater ideally won't have as much to do, moreso spot checks before the sheet is accepted for the next site sheet update.

LeviR.star

I observed something when taking a cursory glance at this arrangement's PDF: this is not based on the NES/Famicom version, but rather, the version from the PlayStation remake, which in turn was based on the symphonic suite rendition from 1990.

So at this point I think it would make the most sense to update the game information to reflect that of the PS1 release, or if the arranger so chooses, alter the arrangement so that it resembles the original chiptune version instead. The latter route would obviously involve more work, but I think it would be favorable to represent the track's debut on the site. Just my two cents :P
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Kricketune54

Kricketune54

I am going to archive this submission. Please do give the feedback that was provided by the community a review.

Zeta

This submission has been deleted by Kricketune54.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot