Series: Other
Game: GoldenEye 007
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Elevator Music
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

Some notes:
  • Although the current sheet is titled "Elevator Music", there are two different versions, 1 and 2. I accidentally arranged version 2 before realising that version 1 was the one that needed replacing. Perhaps it would make sense to include both under one sheet, although they are quite different.
  • Composer is sourced from Wikipedia: "Robin Beanland, the game's third composer, only wrote the elevator music that can be heard in certain levels."
  • Initially I had the left hand playing the bass, but that sounded a bit too empty so I opted for the vibraphone chords instead.
  • I also simplified the rhythms in the vibraphone solo to make it playable (and added "freely" as descriptive text). I can adjust it if anyone feels it should be written differently.
  • Also, some people may deem my use of ottavas excessive; personally I think it just makes everything a bit more readable.

Static

• m1/2/4/5/6 RH beat 4 all sound the same length to me, but you have some marked staccato and others not.
  • m11 RH: I hear the rhythms (and a few of the pitches) a bit differently:

Offbeat triplets are kinda confusing, but it wouldn't be the first time they've been used (see here). In a solo context like this, with a simple, constant LH pattern, I think it's fine.
  • m13 RH beat 1: Missing a G
  • m15-16 RH: Rhythm/pitches sounds more like this to me:
  • m25/29 RH beat 3: Grace note slur should be flipped up, or just moved a bit to the side so it's not touching the other slur.
  • m27/31 RH beat 3: Grace notes are missing slurs here
  • For the accompaniment, even if you're not using the bass explicitly, I would still include the roots of all the chords in there somewhere (C and G basically). Right now, the harmony appears to be alternating between Eb and F7b5 or something. Also, the Ebs on those G chords don't move to D like the melody does, they stay on Eb. Basically, this is what I'm thinking that LH part could look like:

XiaoMigros

• m11: I'm not hearing the G on b3.5, but the rest looks good (wasn't sure about whether offbeat triplets were a good idea or not)
  • m13: I'm also not hearing a G here
  • I like the accompaniment pattern too, that's been changed.

The rest of the changes have been made as well. Thanks!

Static

I still hear the G in m13, other than that this looks good though. The one in m11 I still hear kinda hear as well, but it's more of a ghosted note so it's fine to exclude. I also hear the accompaniment as you have it now, with the Ds on beat 2.5 of m2/4/etc.

XiaoMigros

Are you sure what you're hearing in m13 isn't also just an overtone? I'm really not hearing anything there..

Static

I'm pretty sure it's there, but it does kinda blend in with the lower voices. You can leave it out if you prefer. Approved
(also the slur in m11 RH beat 4.5 should probably be adjusted a bit)

XiaoMigros

I think I'll leave it out then. Thanks!
The slur has been adjusted.

Bloop

j a z z

-Being a bit nitpicky about staccato's, but maybe it makes sense to write the staccato quarter notes in m1-8 as (possibly tenuto) 8th notes? I usually think about staccato more as "play this note shortly" than as "play this note at half its intended value". If you prefer keeping them, you're missing one in m6 beat 4 ^^ Also, maybe you could add a slur in the R.H. on beat 2.5-3 in m2, 4, 6 and 8. Same thing in m25-32 (missing a staccato on beat 4 in m26 and 30, if you decide to keep those)
-m9: You could add parentheses to either the R.H. or L.H. C, since these are the same note.
-m13-16: Shouldn't the L.H. here be the same as in the rest of the sheet? (btw i also hear the G in m13 like Static mentioned :p If it helps, it's a G above the Eb in the previous bar)
-m22: You could write the R.H. 32nd notes on beat 3.75 as grace notes too, if you want.
-m27: The beam between beat 1.5 and 2.5 is missing.
-m27 and 31: Maybe you could consider moving the D grace note before beat 4.5 up an octave, since it's quite hard to play (you'd have to play the octave with your 2nd and 5th finger). I think the D up an octave still has the same effect.
-m34: You could extend the slur on beat 1.5 to beat 2 (instead of beat 1.75)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on June 03, 2022, 09:48:18 AMi also hear the G in m13 like Static mentioned :p If it helps, it's a G above the Eb in the previous bar
Ah so it's above, I hear that now. Added! (sorry static)

Quote from: Bloop on June 03, 2022, 09:48:18 AM-m27 and 31: Maybe you could consider moving the D grace note before beat 4.5 up an octave, since it's quite hard to play (you'd have to play the octave with your 2nd and 5th finger). I think the D up an octave still has the same effect.
Playing this (black key) octave with fingers 2 and 5 is easy for me, but even for people with smaller hands I think reaching the minor ninth is possible, even if the lower Eb is played with a slight delay. Personally I don't think it's worth sacrificing faithfulness to the original here.

The other stuff you brought up has been reviewed and updated!

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 04, 2022, 12:39:28 PMPlaying this (black key) octave with fingers 2 and 5 is easy for me, but even for people with smaller hands I think reaching the minor ninth is possible, even if the lower Eb is played with a slight delay. Personally I don't think it's worth sacrificing faithfulness to the original here.
Hmm I see, it feels slightly uncomfortably stretchy between the 2nd and 5th finger, but it's still doable yeah.

Aside from that looking good, though did you want to use tenuto 8ths instead of staccato quarters in m25-32 too?

XiaoMigros

Oops I forgot it repeats later on, fixed!

I also redid the beaming for those sections to align it with the more conventional 4/4 rules.

Bloop

Awesome, then I'll accept!
You cannot view this attachment.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot