Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Fortuna
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Kricketune54

Man Star Fox is getting some good submission love in 2022 (3 sheets including this so far lol)!  I'm all for it, new arrangements or replacements.

What is your reasoning behind putting the boss track and the stage theme together? I get that the boss theme isn't too long but naming this as just "Fortuna" doesn't really indicate that it contains both.  If both themes are going to be on the sheet, the title should probably be Fortuna (Stage and Boss) or something to that effect.

Formatting
- Similar to the Battlefront arrangement Fantastic Ike has submitted, I think putting a box around the titles for the different tracks makes sense.  Check my Star Fox 64 Bill and Katt sheet for example
- Lower the decresc. starting at m25 a tiny bit so it centers on the mf (should mirror height of the one starting in m.29)
- Maybe a bit OCD of me but move the m1 and m33 mf's a tiny bit to the right so it is more centered
- m17 system and the decresc. + mf above it are a little close, I'd suggest moving the m17 system down a little bit and keeping the decresc. and mf where they are so the mf isn't so close to the F in the RH.
- The "Boss" section seems a little high on the page, just move that system down a bit

Notes
- m8 LH I'm hearing this as a F-En/Fb-Eb-D progression rather than F-Eb-Dn-Db
- m25-26 and m29-30 RH beat 1 and 3 should be Db instead of Cn
- m27-28 RH the Bn's should be Cn's
- m40 LH the rhythm is same as previous 3 bars, so beat 4 should be up an octave from what it currently is
- m45 RH beat 3.5 this beat in this rhythm is actually Ab not Gn

NineLives

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 06, 2022, 08:42:07 AMWhat is your reasoning behind putting the boss track and the stage theme together? I get that the boss theme isn't too long but naming this as just "Fortuna" doesn't really indicate that it contains both.  If both themes are going to be on the sheet, the title should probably be Fortuna (Stage and Boss) or something to that effect.
I thought I'd put them together because they're both related to each other by the level, and, as you said, the boss theme didn't take up too much space. I also see it as about as convenient as if someone made a boss theme collection, but if we were to continue going about it this way with the other levels(Whether it were brand new sheets or adding to some of the old ones for quick collabs), we'd have a few less sheets to do. In any other Star Fox game, it'd be tricky, but this one's boss themes are short enough, I think, to make it work. The only ones we'd probably do differently are the themes for Venom since there are multiple for that level, so that'd probably make its own collection of boss themes.

In terms of the sheet's title, I see it as a bit redundant to have the "Stage and Boss" part added to the main title and, in turn, on the top of every page, when you'll have each one already labelled in addition to that. On the website, it makes sense to type in the context because if someone was just looking for one or the other, they'd know both are included.

Aside from that, the rest of the changes have been made.

Kricketune54

Are there instances of sheets with different titles on site than what is on the sheet? 

Btw an addendum to my m45 feedback, notate it this way given that it makes sense when you read the right hand independently and you have the Bb and G# chromatically adjacent to the An

NineLives

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 06, 2022, 07:04:11 PMAre there instances of sheets with different titles on site than what is on the sheet? 
Technically, yes. My Wario World sheet is labelled as "Kobito (Unused)" on the site, but is just titled "Kobito" by itself on the sheet.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 06, 2022, 07:04:11 PMBtw an addendum to my m45 feedback, notate it this way given that it makes sense when you read the right hand independently and you have the Bb and G# chromatically adjacent to the An
This has been taken care of, or at least it should be.

Static

Quote from: NineLives on March 06, 2022, 01:09:23 PMI thought I'd put them together because they're both related to each other by the level, and, as you said, the boss theme didn't take up too much space. I also see it as about as convenient as if someone made a boss theme collection, but if we were to continue going about it this way with the other levels(Whether it were brand new sheets or adding to some of the old ones for quick collabs), we'd have a few less sheets to do. In any other Star Fox game, it'd be tricky, but this one's boss themes are short enough, I think, to make it work. The only ones we'd probably do differently are the themes for Venom since there are multiple for that level, so that'd probably make its own collection of boss themes.
I'm neutral on whether we combine tracks in these sheets or not, but it should be consistent on site. Some of the other boss themes seem a bit more involved than this one, so maybe it would be better to keep them split. If you'd rather not, then get in touch with Yug Guy and Deku to edit and/or replace the existing sheets for Corneria and Space Armada to include the boss themes. Let's see if anyone else has thoughts on this.

Onto feedback now:

Stage
  • You can just write "Swing" instead of the whole note=triplet thing since it's simpler and just as widely understood, but of course feel free to leave it if you prefer.
  • This is in F minor mostly, but if you'd rather keep using the modal key signature that's cool too.
  • m4 (and similar) RH beat 1: Might be cool to add the Cn grace note here, it's kind of a cool effect.
  • m8 RH is missing some additional melody notes, they kind of get lost under the bass and drums:

(probably a good idea to remove the F from beat 3.5)
  • m8/28/32 LH: Bass goes F-Eb-D-Db here, what you had before.
  • m12/20/28 RH beats 3-4: The melody goes C-F-F-C, it's tricky to hear because of the echo effect though.
  • m27-28 RH: The Fs should be Ens (that pitch bend part is always a major 3rd wherever it happens).
  • Going off the above, m31 should be Cb-Eb, and m32 should be Cn-En.
Boss
  • Since this is a different track (not a variation of the stage theme), I would recommend indenting the first system (Page Layout Tool > right click top-right handle of system > Edit Margins > change Left value to same as first system on Page 1, in this case 0.5).
    • Also, you can restart the measures here by using the Measure Tool. After clicking on the tool, click Measure on the top navigation bar > Edit Measure Regions > change Region 1 to m1-36 > add Region 2 and set it to m37-56 > keep all other check boxes and settings the same.
      To start from these measures on playback, you must enter in the original measure number into the playback controls (m37, 38, etc.).
  • Maybe add a slur or tenuto to beat 4 of each LH measure, and to the first 4 measures of the RH, since the lack of staccatos there can easily be overlooked.

NineLives

Sheet has been updated with the above changes. If I missed something, let me know.

Static

Libera

Quote from: Static on March 17, 2022, 06:34:35 PMI'm neutral on whether we combine tracks in these sheets or not, but it should be consistent on site. Some of the other boss themes seem a bit more involved than this one, so maybe it would be better to keep them split. If you'd rather not, then get in touch with Yug Guy and Deku to edit and/or replace the existing sheets for Corneria and Space Armada to include the boss themes. Let's see if anyone else has thoughts on this.

I think these should be separate sheets, personally.  I don't think people should have to arrange the boss themes as well when doing stage themes (and vice versa) and also don't think the current sheets on site need editing.

NineLives

If it'll be a bit of a hassle, I suppose I'll just do the stage theme here then. At least both are in good condition now though.

Libera

I got Baader–Meinhof'd immediately on Sunday after looking at this... Weird.

Yeah this looks pretty good.  A couple of things:

-Maybe the left hand would sound better an octave lower?  It might sound a bit more bass-y like in the original.
-13-16/21-24 sound a little empty at the moment but I don't think it's that bad.  One thing you could do is just add in an F below the Cb and Bb which might fill in the texture a little without having to write in the whole inner voice (which would probably be quite awkward).

Nice work and catchy piece.

NineLives

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot