News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[NES] Shadowgate - "Title Screen" by Atcero

Started by Zeta, July 31, 2021, 07:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Shadowgate
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Title Screen
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Atcero

Did I hear more Shadowgate subs? Cause I did.

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

Looks good! Fairly straightforward piece, so I there's no big problems or anything. Just a few things that I noticed:
-I think you can change the quarter note in m. 1 beat 1.5 to an 8th + 8th rest; if you listen to the track on a slow speed, you can hear the note stopping and the delay starting on beat 2.
-The mp in bar 1 could be centered under the first note a bit more: it's a bit far right. I usually use Finale's standard placement + 3 right arrow clicks.
-m. 9-15 is a very subtle polymeter: the melody switches between 3/4 and 4/4 (or 7/4 combined), while the bassline stays in 4/4. This means the key change happens at m. 12.5 already instead of m. 13. You could leave it like this for simplicity's sake, but if you wanna be special, there's two things you could do:
    -You could change the time signatures in m. 12 to 2/4, m. 13 (or currently m. 12.5) back to 4/4, m. 16 (currently m. 15.5) to 2/4, and m. 17 (currently m. 16) back to 4/4.
It might sound a bit complicated, but it makes m. 9-12.5 and m. 12.5-15 visually equal to each other.
    -You could also make the key change happen halfway through a bar: click the measure where you want the key change to happen, and go Plug-ins -> Measures -> Split Measure. Input 2 at "Split Measure After __ Beats", choose Invisible as Barline Style, and uncheck "Move second part of split measure to next system". This splits the measure in place, which allows you to edit both halves independently. Now you can edit the key signature of the second half of the bar like you would normally do. If you want, you can also put a double barline at the end if the first half of the measure.

Also, apparently the .mus files have this weird font problem I saw someone mentioning on discord before with another sheet. I don't know if there was a solution to that? The pdf is fine though. I installed the most recent fonts installer for Finale, but the time signature scares me and all ties are practicing social distancing to their notes:
You cannot view this attachment.

Static

I don't have much to add other than the above. Idk what's up with that font, but the PDF looks fine which is the most important part here. The font in the mus(x) can easily be swapped out for something else by anyone who downloads it, but I might recommend re-exporting it yourself with one of the default fonts. At least for just the mus.

As for the time signatures, I think leaving it in 4/4 is fine, since the bassline stays consistent. It's polymeter for sure, but I don't think it needs to be written with time signature changes - though it definitely could. It would work either way.

Atcero

I kept it at 4/4 for simplicity sake, but I did get that first quarter note changed. Thank you both!
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Static

If you take into account the echo, all those quarter notes sound about the same length as the one in m1, to me at least. I might suggest changing all of those quarter notes to 8ths, looks a bit weird with just m1 looking like that.

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Static

m2/6/etc. also sound like they would be 8th notes.

Edit: We talked a bit over Discord, those notes will stay as quarters since the echo seems a bit more noticeable there. With that out of the way, I'll go ahead and approve this one. Maybe someone else can weigh on on the time signature stuff though, but I think it's OK as it is.

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Did you intend to make m. 1 and 5 different? Beat 1.5 was changed to an eighth note in 1 but not in 5.

As a side note, for the rhythm in m. 3 and similar I typically like using an eighth tied to a dotted half instead of a dotted charter tied to a half. Either's fine though!

Other than that, the PDF looks good (will need to find out why the font conversion is doing funny things to the Finale file from v27).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Atcero

I wonder if my tired brain just edited it on musescore and not fully on finale, but its all updated now! Thank you!

Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Cool, I'll accept now :) the mystery of v27 fonts will have to be solved at a later time, don't want to hold up submissions for it right now...
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot