News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Rubikium's Halloween Sheet: Luigi's Mansion 3 - Boilerworks

Started by Rubikium, October 14, 2020, 02:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubikium

This track is labeled as "Boilerworks - Track 1" in the game, "Boilerworks: Theme" in this website, and "B2: Boilerworks" or "2B: Boilerworks" in some YouTube videos. I have settled on "Boilerworks" as the sheet name for now, but please let me know if it should be changed.

Static

• For the title, I'd be tempted to go with what's listed in the in-game soundtrack, since that is the only official source we have to go by. I'll be posting in the other LM3 thread about this after I'm done here...
  • Edit: I'd actually be fine with just naming this "Boilerworks", I think it's the most clear. I just want to make sure the title scheme for this and the Mezzanine sheet match.
  • The swing playback isn't working for me, is it for you? If not, I can fix it for you.
  • Beat 3 of m2, 6, 18, and 22 sound like half notes to me instead of 8th notes.
  • Beat 3 of m17 and 21 should have an F under the A (you can also include an E# grace note under the G# if you'd like). These notes also sound long, like quarter notes rather than 8th notes.
  • The melody starting at 17 has different articulations from the first time - it's not all normal 8th notes.
  • m19 RH beat 3: These 2 8th notes are actually straight instead of swung; you could indicate this with a bracket above and text saying "straight".
  • The banjo part starting at m24 beat 4 should be constant 16th notes - I'm not hearing any of those 8th note rhythms like in m24, 26, or 28 for example.

Nice sheet!

Rubikium

Quote from: Static on October 21, 2020, 12:52:46 PM
  • For the title, I'd be tempted to go with what's listed in the in-game soundtrack, since that is the only official source we have to go by. I'll be posting in the other LM3 thread about this after I'm done here...
  • Edit: I'd actually be fine with just naming this "Boilerworks", I think it's the most clear. I just want to make sure the title scheme for this and the Mezzanine sheet match.
  • The swing playback isn't working for me, is it for you? If not, I can fix it for you.
  • Beat 3 of m2, 6, 18, and 22 sound like half notes to me instead of 8th notes.
  • Beat 3 of m17 and 21 should have an F under the A (you can also include an E# grace note under the G# if you'd like). These notes also sound long, like quarter notes rather than 8th notes.
  • The melody starting at 17 has different articulations from the first time - it's not all normal 8th notes.
  • m19 RH beat 3: These 2 8th notes are actually straight instead of swung; you could indicate this with a bracket above and text saying "straight".
  • The banjo part starting at m24 beat 4 should be constant 16th notes - I'm not hearing any of those 8th note rhythms like in m24, 26, or 28 for example.

Nice sheet!

- I will keep the title as is, then
- I cannot enable the swing playback since I'm using Finale Notepad. Please fix this
- Note lengths in mm. 1-8 and mm. 17-24 have been adjusted
- Added the F notes in m17 and m21
- I notate the two straight 8th notes as a duplet instead
- Added missing notes in m26, 28
- Edited m24 beat 4 to include both melody (LH) and banjo part (RH)

Static

Quote from: Rubikium on October 23, 2020, 04:57:58 AM- I will keep the title as is, then
After talking with SlowPokemon I think I would actually prefer the title "B2: Boilerworks", since the official title is kinda weird and I think the floor number is useful to know for people looking for sheets.

Static

I made the swing and straight playback work for you. I had to move the straight marking to m25 however since the marking is attached to the beginning of measures - this is fine though because 8th note triplets and 16th notes sound the same in both styles. I also changed the title to match Mezzanine.

Quote from: Rubikium on October 23, 2020, 04:57:58 AM- I notate the two straight 8th notes as a duplet instead
Because you're in 4/4 time (as opposed to 12/8), I think a Straight marking is more appropriate here. If you're fine with me changing it, I can hide the "2" and add a small text marking above that says "Straight" with a bracket to show that only those 2 notes should be straight.

Rubikium

I'm alright with the changes made. Please also edit the mentioned duplet.

Static

All done, I approve, although I would still consider changing up the articulations in the melody starting up at m17 - I guess it's up to you though, and I think it's fine the way it is. I also got rid of that extra natural sign for you in m31, so everything's good to go now.

Maelstrom

Lots of stuff in the banjo section RH
m24 b4.5 - A (above the next note), not a d.
m25 b2.75 - F, not Db
m27 b3 - F, not a rest.
m29 b1 - I hear a D here instead of the F#, b3 is a D#
m30 b1 - I hear a C# here instead of the F#, same with b3
m31 - b1.23, 2.25 - Bn, not a Gn.
m32 b1 - E, not A. b3-3.25 are E->C#, not A->E. Beat 4 is supposed to be an octave higher.

LH stuff:
m9 - Chord on both hits here is a Bb Minor - should be Db-F-Bb or an inversion of that. Also, the 4th beat bass hit is an A.
m11 - same chord thing, but the 4th beat bass note is a C#
m11 b3 - G, not an F.
m12 - 4th beat bass note is a C
m25 2nd layer b4 - Should be an A, not a sustained note (forms a 10th)
m27 2nd layer b4 - Should be a C#, not a sustained note (forms 9th)
m27 1st layer b3.25 - F, not an E
m29 b3 - The bass goes up to a F# here
m32 - Why does the 2nd layer switch octaves? the bass plays in single steps down here.

For the whole m9-16 section, there's a whole different rhythm going on here with swing 8ths on beat 3. I really think it should be included.
Why only the grace note in m32? The harmonica makes a similar shape elsewhere through this section.
Double barline at the end of m24 to indicate the section change?

Rubikium

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 25, 2020, 11:14:27 AMLots of stuff in the banjo section RH
m24 b4.5 - A (above the next note), not a d.
m25 b2.75 - F, not Db
m27 b3 - F, not a rest.
m29 b1 - I hear a D here instead of the F#, b3 is a D#
m30 b1 - I hear a C# here instead of the F#, same with b3
m31 - b1.23, 2.25 - Bn, not a Gn.
m32 b1 - E, not A. b3-3.25 are E->C#, not A->E. Beat 4 is supposed to be an octave higher.

LH stuff:
m9 - Chord on both hits here is a Bb Minor - should be Db-F-Bb or an inversion of that. Also, the 4th beat bass hit is an A.
m11 - same chord thing, but the 4th beat bass note is a C#
m11 b3 - G, not an F.
m12 - 4th beat bass note is a C
m27 1st layer b3.25 - F, not an E
m29 b3 - The bass goes up to a F# here

For the whole m9-16 section, there's a whole different rhythm going on here with swing 8ths on beat 3. I really think it should be included.
Edited

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 25, 2020, 11:14:27 AMLH stuff:
m25 2nd layer b4 - Should be an A, not a sustained note (forms a 10th)
m27 2nd layer b4 - Should be a C#, not a sustained note (forms 9th)
I didn't include them since it is difficult to play these intervals simultaneously, and arpeggiate them does not sound great either

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 25, 2020, 11:14:27 AMm32 - Why does the 2nd layer switch octaves? the bass plays in single steps down here.
Why only the grace note in m32? The harmonica makes a similar shape elsewhere through this section.
I forgot to remove them after my experiment on the score. Changed

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 25, 2020, 11:14:27 AMDouble barline at the end of m24 to indicate the section change?
Sure. Please edit this for me, as I can't do this in Notepad

Maelstrom

In the interest of getting this sheet in the update, I will be making the changes listed:
-m27 RH b1 - D is an octave too high
-You didn't make all the changes you said you made...
-Removed all L.H. marks. Not only did they add clutter, but they're not really necessary to play the piece at all
-added the double barline
-made the straight 8ths play back properly in m19
-Made m32 LH 1st layer a dotted half note
-Made m28 LH 1st layer a half note
-Rearranged notes in m31 to properly show note length and avoid overlaps
Quote from: Rubikium on October 27, 2020, 11:49:18 PMI didn't include them since it is difficult to play these intervals simultaneously, and arpeggiate them does
Added both of these in. I moved m25 up an octave to make it more easily playable, and the 9th is actually really easy, since it's an octave+minor 2nd. Basically only a half step larger than an octave.

Saved and put in the dropbox folder. Tell me what you think about my changes.

Rubikium

Looks good. I am alright with the changes made

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 29, 2020, 04:08:05 PM-You didn't make all the changes you said you made...
I must have forgot about something when I edited the sheet. Sorry about that

Maelstrom