News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

[NDS] Mario Kart DS - "Rainbow Road" (Replacement) by Latios212 & Static

Started by Zeta, April 25, 2020, 09:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart DS
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Rainbow Road
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: Latios212 & Static

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

I didn't realize it at first, but the loop of the song is twice as long as you might think.

Latios212

When I joined, there were six Mario Kart DS sheets that needed to be replaced. This is the last one of them ;D
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Wow, took me a while to figure out the difference between the first and second loops...

- I'm not sure how necessary the staccatos on all the 16th notes are. They're fast enough that they have to be played staccato-like regardless, and explicitly making them staccato isn't going to make a difference in performance when the pianist is using pedal (in fact, it might actively discourage the pianist from using pedal in the first place). I think it might be better to remove the 16th-note staccatos to reduce clutter, but your thoughts may differ.
- I think beats 3 and 4 of m7/47 would be better simplified as dotted eighth (high A) - sixteenth (high A) - quarter note (low A), instead of having a grace note on top of an already syncopated rhythm at a fairly fast tempo. I think it's less confusing and just as good an approximation.
- The B in m24/64 bothers me because I think it interferes with the rhythm and contour of the main melody (the two half-note chords), especially since the B is not a prominent note itself. Personally, I think it would be better to just remove it.
- The chords in m31-32/71-72 sound out of place to me because the melody (F to G) is transposed an octave higher, and also because the thick seventh chords just kind of come out of nowhere after the RH has only been playing a single voice for the whole phrase. I think it would sound more natural to transpose the chords down an octave and cut at least one of the notes.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 15, 2020, 11:59:12 AM- The B in m24/64 bothers me because I think it interferes with the rhythm and contour of the main melody (the two half-note chords), especially since the B is not a prominent note itself. Personally, I think it would be better to just remove it.
Yeah, I agree with this - I think the lower A-G# is the voice to prioritize and the B distracts too much from it. Beat 4 is fine as written though.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 15, 2020, 11:59:12 AM- The chords in m31-32/71-72 sound out of place to me because the melody (F to G) is transposed an octave higher, and also because the thick seventh chords just kind of come out of nowhere after the RH has only been playing a single voice for the whole phrase. I think it would sound more natural to transpose the chords down an octave and cut at least one of the notes.
I had the same initial reaction of wanting the continuity of the F# between the voices, but I listened again and the melody simply does just jump like that. It's a bit strange but I think it works as is.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 15, 2020, 11:59:12 AMWow, took me a while to figure out the difference between the first and second loops...
Yeah me too lol

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 15, 2020, 11:59:12 AM- I'm not sure how necessary the staccatos on all the 16th notes are. They're fast enough that they have to be played staccato-like regardless, and explicitly making them staccato isn't going to make a difference in performance when the pianist is using pedal (in fact, it might actively discourage the pianist from using pedal in the first place). I think it might be better to remove the 16th-note staccatos to reduce clutter, but your thoughts may differ.
Done.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 15, 2020, 11:59:12 AM- I think beats 3 and 4 of m7/47 would be better simplified as dotted eighth (high A) - sixteenth (high A) - quarter note (low A), instead of having a grace note on top of an already syncopated rhythm at a fairly fast tempo. I think it's less confusing and just as good an approximation.
I just removed the grace note entirely and left it as is. I think it sounds the most like the original this way, with the low A coming in just a bit ahead of the beat.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 15, 2020, 11:59:12 AM- The chords in m31-32/71-72 sound out of place to me because the melody (F to G) is transposed an octave higher, and also because the thick seventh chords just kind of come out of nowhere after the RH has only been playing a single voice for the whole phrase. I think it would sound more natural to transpose the chords down an octave and cut at least one of the notes.
I removed the lower two notes since they aren't as important here (the 5th and doubled 3rd of the chord).

Files have been edited with these and Latios's changes.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Just one thing. In m51, I had to double take to make sure there was actually a tie there because the formatting squashed it so. Maybe work a bit of formatting magic to make it clearly visible.

aaaaaaand that's it. nice sheet.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot