News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[WiiU] Paper Mario: Color Splash - "Main Theme (Ragtime)" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, January 07, 2020, 05:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Paper Mario
Game: Paper Mario: Color Splash
Console: Wii U
Title: Main Theme (Ragtime)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Does this look good?

Yes.

I would say though that I think some slur usage could potentially make some of the articulations clearer to the reader.  I always find it a pain to read a bunch of notes where some are staccato and some aren't without slurs to help with the clarity.

Also, I don't know about you, but I think that slurs on grace notes look neater when they're oriented correctly for the big note, rather than for the small note.  But that might not be your preference.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Libera on January 09, 2020, 02:37:21 PMI would say though that I think some slur usage could potentially make some of the articulations clearer to the reader.  I always find it a pain to read a bunch of notes where some are staccato and some aren't without slurs to help with the clarity.

Seconding this. I would also consider putting staccatos on beats 1.5 and 2.5 in the RH of measures like m7, m15, m39, and m47.

In m17, m19, m25, and m29, beat 4 (but not beat 3) is actually two straight eighths, instead of two swung eighths.

I would say the last system sounds like mezzo piano instead of mezzo forte, and I don't think the last note should be accented. The last note is softer than the measures that came before it, like a playfully quiet finish (personally, I might even lower the dynamic marking for the last note).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Thanks guys for looking it over!

Quote from: Libera on January 09, 2020, 02:37:21 PMI would say though that I think some slur usage could potentially make some of the articulations clearer to the reader.  I always find it a pain to read a bunch of notes where some are staccato and some aren't without slurs to help with the clarity.
Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 15, 2020, 10:06:41 PMSeconding this.
Generally in principle and in practice I agree, but I gave it some thought and feel a little differently about this piece. Here's what I mean - adding slurs to the beginning would end up looking something like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
I think that doing this breaks up the larger phrases somewhat oddly and overall doesn't add a whole lot of clarity. Let me know if you strongly disagree, but I think it's fine as is.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 15, 2020, 10:06:41 PMI would also consider putting staccatos on beats 1.5 and 2.5 in the RH of measures like m7, m15, m39, and m47.
I didn't here because the offbeats in swung time are already shorter notes and I didn't feel like these notes needed to be that marked, but again let me know if you disagree.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 15, 2020, 10:06:41 PMIn m17, m19, m25, and m29, beat 4 (but not beat 3) is actually two straight eighths, instead of two swung eighths.
Oops. Fixed

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 15, 2020, 10:06:41 PMI would say the last system sounds like mezzo piano instead of mezzo forte, and I don't think the last note should be accented. The last note is softer than the measures that came before it, like a playfully quiet finish (personally, I might even lower the dynamic marking for the last note).
That's fair. I've changed that (though I'll just leave the last note as just staccato).

Quote from: Libera on January 09, 2020, 02:37:21 PMAlso, I don't know about you, but I think that slurs on grace notes look neater when they're oriented correctly for the big note, rather than for the small note.  But that might not be your preference.
Where exactly are you referring to and what does your preference look like? I'm not sure what you mean.

Files updated with the stuff I mentioned from above!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

The mezzo piano is m49 is aligned a little low, imo.

Not sure how important MIDI playback is, but... you could also change the playback so that the straight eighths actually do play as straight eighths. I'm not sure if there's another way to do it besides just making an entire hidden staff, so...

Otherwise, looks good to me.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Done and done! I'm generally not too finicky about playback on my sheets but yes... that's important to correct. (Went with the hidden staff :P)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Latios and I had a chat about some of the things I brought up and he decided against changing them.  I'll just approve.

mastersuperfan

Okay so I actually went and thoroughly checked all the notes and came up with this:
- I'm not hearing the low F on LH beat 2 in m2, m4, m6, or beats 2+4 in m9 or m11. I swear I went crazy checking for each and every one of those F's and not finding any of them. Finally, I heard it the first time in m13!
- I'm hearing the bottom note of m10 beat 2 LH as a G instead of an Ab.
- Rhythm in m10 LH should be four staccato'd quarter notes (I presume this was a copy-paste error).
- I'm hearing the top note of m10 beat 4 LH as a Bb instead of a C.
- Bottom note in m14 LH beat 2 sounds like a G instead of an F.
- I'm not hearing a G# in the big chord on beat 2.5 in m14 RH.
- There's a Bb in the LH on beats 2+4 in m17, in conjunction with the D and F.
- I don't hear the E on beat 4 of m18 LH.
- I'm hearing a Bb on beat 4 of m22 LH.
- I'm hearing a Bb below the C on beat 4 of m34 LH.
- The F in the chord on beat 4 of m38 LH sounds like it should be an octave higher.
- I'm hearing a Bb in the chord on beat 4 of m42 LH.

Latios212

Haha... good catches. Fixed, except I'm not so sure about the below:

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 22, 2020, 11:53:16 PM- Bottom note in m14 LH beat 2 sounds like a G instead of an F.
- I'm not hearing a G# in the big chord on beat 2.5 in m14 RH.
I think I'm still hearing m. 14 as I wrote it...

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 22, 2020, 11:53:16 PM- I don't hear the E on beat 4 of m18 LH.
Listening again these sound like G-Bb-Db triads for the LH

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 22, 2020, 11:53:16 PM- The F in the chord on beat 4 of m38 LH sounds like it should be an octave higher.
I don't think I hear this...

Thanks for the help!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

i'm hearing m14 as msf said
m48's bass i'm hearing an octave lower than written
otherwise, i have nothing else to say

Latios212

Okay, made the edits to 14. :P

For m. 48, I lowered it and removed the fifth while doing so.

Files updated, thanks for looking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

Zeta