News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Sheikah Tower" by Th3Gavst3r

Started by Zeta, October 09, 2019, 06:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Sheikah Tower
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Th3Gavst3r

[attachment deleted by admin]

Th3Gavst3r

Latios212

yaaay more breath of the wild

A few things about the timing and presentation (pitches are good) -
- I don't really think a multi-measure rest is really needed for just 2 measures here, you could easily do without (would also make counting the rests slightly easier I think)
- How sure are you about the 5/8 measures? Not too sure at the moment but would just like that to be double checked
- There's quite a bit of repeated stuff here, particularly the first system occurs twice more throughout the loop. Could we (1) remove the last 5 measures and have a loop from the beginning instead, and maybe (2) write the first and second strings of half notes as a first/second ending so we don't have to write the first part out twice, and see if that looks nice / works?
- With this many tiny measures we could definitely make the distribution a bit more even. Five measures to ten is a bit strange.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Latios212 on October 09, 2019, 07:12:04 PM- I don't really think a multi-measure rest is really needed for just 2 measures here, you could easily do without (would also make counting the rests slightly easier I think)
I mostly did that to break things up visually, but after compressing the repeats I think it looks much better without 'em.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 09, 2019, 07:12:04 PM- How sure are you about the 5/8 measures? Not too sure at the moment but would just like that to be double checked
They were the closest approximation to the actual performance, but I think it's fine to just call them "about 2 bars" here to have nice repeats.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 09, 2019, 07:12:04 PM- There's quite a bit of repeated stuff here, particularly the first system occurs twice more throughout the loop. Could we (1) remove the last 5 measures and have a loop from the beginning instead, and maybe (2) write the first and second strings of half notes as a first/second ending so we don't have to write the first part out twice, and see if that looks nice / works?
This was a great suggestion. Looks much better now :D

Quote from: Latios212 on October 09, 2019, 07:12:04 PM- With this many tiny measures we could definitely make the distribution a bit more even. Five measures to ten is a bit strange.
I left it with 3 systems in this case. With such big first and second endings, I feel like this is the least confusing grouping I tried.

Latios212

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 09, 2019, 07:48:21 PMThey were the closest approximation to the actual performance, but I think it's fine to just call them "about 2 bars" here to have nice repeats.
Gotcha. Yeah I think what we have now is a sensible representation of what goes on in the original - with these gaps I don't think a split second difference is important.

Changes look great!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

The only thing I have to say here is be careful with the positioning of your hairpins.  Since one cannot change the volume of a note on a piano when it has already been played, a hairpin should really start and end at the beginning of a note.  This means that the hairpin in bar 12 should start on beat 1, then in bar 16 it should end at beat 1 also.  The same is true for the third system.  I'm not too sure about the long hairpin across rests in bars 2-3 as I don't think it makes much sense either.  It'd probably be better written with two separate hairpins, one that starts and ends in bar 1, and another that starts and ends in bar 4.

Th3Gavst3r

I think you're definitely right that the hairpins could use some improvement.

You can't get much gradient with how short the first two licks are, so I shortened them to just ppp and pp

I also moved the start of the other hairpins to beat 1, but made their endings at the end of each system. The idea I'm trying to get across is not the exact dynamic which the player should play the tied half notes, but that each section should flow smoothly into the next including the piano's natural decay. Hopefully that's clear enough with long hairpins

Libera

Yep, that looks a lot better now!  That's everything from me, so I'll accept this now.

Zeta