Console: Nintendo DS
Title: The Silver Zephyr
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Darkwario1

Darkwario1

Tobbeh99

Nice arrangement!

here's some feedback:

-The song goes in E-minor, and so the key signature should be E-minor, 1 sharp.
-All the Gb's should be F#'s. You can clearly see that the melody often goes step-wise up or down. And then F# makes much more sense, for example compare D-E-F#-G with D-E-Gb-Gn.
-Double-check measures 6-7 and 16-17 if the LH is correct. I'm pretty sure that the harmony is B-major rather than EmMaj7. 
-I also think that all Eb in the LH should be D#, but not 100% sure on this one.
-You could incorporate some of the strings in the RH to enrich the RH.
-You can easily fit this arrangement on 1 page, it looks really silly with one measure on the 2nd page. I think the best way to do this is by broadening the margins (I'd make them to Left:0.59, Top:0.43, Right:0,43) and moving that measure up to the next system so that the last system contains 5 measures.
-The youtube link's title is different from yours. Are you sure that the title is correct? When I searched for "The Silver Zephyr" on youtube, nothing showed up.
-Optionally, you could include some articulations, if you want to.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Darkwario1

Hey! Thank you for the feedback

So here's what I did:
-I changed the key to E-minor, which works perfect without me having to do tons of naturals.
-I fixed up the left hand in measures 6-7 and 16-17 to your suggestion (making it D#). I'm not sure if that is right because it is really hard to pick up the left hand harmony in the song. (The piano notes in the song are on the same pitch as the melody, so it was hard to pick out what note was the right one for those measures.)
-I put it all on one after fiddling with the instructions you gave me.
-I started putting a second layer from the strings for the right hand, but as I was trying to play it, I found it very hard to have my fingers play a middle E and a high B at the same time. I can always put it in there to make it sound fuller though. I'm not sure what the rule is for that lol

When I was looking up the OST for this, I found this link http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/wario-master-of-disguise and it was called The Silver Zephyr there. I'll look in my game to see if there's an in game music player and see what they name it. If not, then Count Cannoli's Theme will have to be it

Perhaps we need an official Wario expert on the matter *cough cough* DonValentino *cough cough*

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Darkwario1 on August 06, 2016, 09:34:35 PM-I started putting a second layer from the strings for the right hand, but as I was trying to play it, I found it very hard to have my fingers play a middle E and a high B at the same time. I can always put it in there to make it sound fuller though. I'm not sure what the rule is for that lol
From what I've gathered, the general rule of thumb around here for situations like that is to discard the nigh-unplayable accompaniment or transpose it into (more) playable range. For example, for Shovel Knight, I've discarded several accompaniment lines and swapped out at least one more (Shovel Knight transcriptions are more complete for piano duos than solo piano, anyway), while for Falsion, I've transposed the bassline up one octave.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Darkwario1 on August 06, 2016, 09:34:35 PM-I fixed up the left hand in measures 6-7 and 16-17 to your suggestion (making it D#). I'm not sure if that is right because it is really hard to pick up the left hand harmony in the song. (The piano notes in the song are on the same pitch as the melody, so it was hard to pick out what note was the right one for those measures.)
Try slowing the song down with this site: http://www.audiostretch.com/audiostretchforflash/. Then you'll probably hear what it is, otherwise I could help you out.

Quote from: Darkwario1 on August 06, 2016, 09:34:35 PM-I started putting a second layer from the strings for the right hand, but as I was trying to play it, I found it very hard to have my fingers play a middle E and a high B at the same time. I can always put it in there to make it sound fuller though. I'm not sure what the rule is for that lol
Try transposing the harmony notes down or up an octave and see if it works, as Dekkadeci said.

-Also, you've managed to make it fit on 1 page, just move the last measure up one system. It looks weird with only 1 measure on an entire system.

Quote from: Darkwario1 on August 06, 2016, 09:34:35 PMWhen I was looking up the OST for this, I found this link http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/wario-master-of-disguise and it was called The Silver Zephyr there. I'll look in my game to see if there's an in game music player and see what they name it. If not, then Count Cannoli's Theme will have to be it

Perhaps we need an official Wario expert on the matter *cough cough* DonValentino *cough cough*

I'm not sure how trust-worthy that site is. I usually look albums on this site: http://vgmdb.net/. And see if I find an official soundtrack. But y, even better might be to ask Don, or if you could find some sound-test for the music in-game.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bespinben

I think what you need is a fresh take on this song. Allow me to quote myself:
Quote from: Bespinben on August 14, 2016, 03:19:10 PM...timbre and color. Just like how an orchestrator will use different instrument classes to create various sonic images, so too must you consider the the different ranges and registers of the piano as different instruments.

Your arrangement consists of a transcription of the saxophone melody (for the RH) and the harp arpeggio transposed an octave down (for the LH). You've probably disgarded the electric bass and string descants due to playability. If you dissect each part down to its core essence and construct an accompaniment texture derived from each of those components, you'll find that what results is an arrangement more faithful to the original than via strict transcription. Here's what one way I envision this song:

The syncopated rhythm of the electric bass is what gives the song it's distinctive latino vibe.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Darkwario1

Alrighty then! I'll go and work a bit more on this then. Thanks for all the help guys
I usually do straight transpose from the music, but i'll see what I can do.

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Darkwario1

Hey, sorry for the lack of anything with this piece. Unfortunately, college doesn't let me have anytime to do any form of arranging :( So to answer your question, no. It's still where it is.

Maelstrom

Well, I'll have to shelve this then. Feel free to resubmit it when you have time to fix it.