News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[DELETED] [GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog - "Marble Zone" by Sebastian

Started by Zeta, July 07, 2016, 08:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Sonic
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog
Console: Sega Genesis
Title: Marble Zone
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sebastian

Sebastian

cashwarrior1

Ugh, I hate this zone.

I feel like it may be easier to read if you put the bass clef with an 8va beneath it rather than making it touch the ledger lines.

Sebastian

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on July 08, 2016, 06:15:29 AMUgh, I hate this zone.
Me too xD

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on July 08, 2016, 06:15:29 AMI feel like it may be easier to read if you put the bass clef with an 8va beneath it rather than making it touch the ledger lines.
Ah. This comes up from time to time when I'm discussing with Latios. I do have a knack, if you will, for using ledger lines somewhat often. I have been called out on it a few times.

When I was learning piano, my teacher (marvelous teacher) stressed to me the need for learning the notes. "If you can't read notes, you can't play the piano." is something she used to say from time to time. It doesn't really make that much sense since there are lots of pianists that play by ear, don't use piano music, etc., but that's beside the point.
My point is: She stressed the importance (much more than other teachers) of being able to read notes. Because of this, I can read (without 8va/8vb) every note from the G (above C5), the whole way down to an F (below C1) without an 8va/8vb.

Some things I keep in mind when arranging concerning 8va/8va:
1. I make it a rule not to go below the G (below C1). Some people don't like notes that low, so I try to keep in mind that people are different than me.....which is hard to do sometimes :P
2. If it's a fast passage and there isn't much time for pianists' brains to process the next few notes, I'll put an 8vb/8va sooner. Here is a very crude example, but instead of starting an 8va on F or G etc., I'd maybe start it on E or C:
Spoiler
[close]
So it usually varies from song to song. For me, its depends on the speed of the song, the notes being played, the type of passage, etc., but I make it a general rule not to go above F (above C5), or below a G (below C1).

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but yeah. Just me :P

cashwarrior1

Yeah, it's not that hard to read the low G and people do need to learn notes. I'd be fine if you kept it.

Sebastian

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on July 08, 2016, 06:15:29 AMUgh, I hate this zone.
Yeah, this was pretty much the worst zone.

Just one small thing:

In Measures "18" and "20" (in playback, it's Measures 19 and 21)

Yours:

What I'm Hearing:

I'm pretty sure it's an A there, not a B, as you have notated.

Actually you might want to slur Measures "18" to "20" (in playback, Measures 19-22) with one slur. I don't hear pauses between measures, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to play legato for the whole thing.

I was going to mention something about the second voice, but the whole "playability" thing gets in the way. I couldn't find any other mistakes, so that's all I've got. Nice one!
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 16, 2016, 03:45:39 PMYours:

What I'm Hearing:

I'm pretty sure it's an A there, not a B, as you have notated.
Hahahahaha.....you're right. Shame on me for having a wrong note in my sheet xD
Fixed.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 16, 2016, 03:45:39 PMActually you might want to slur Measures "18" to "20" (in playback, Measures 19-22) with one slur. I don't hear pauses between measures, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to play legato for the whole thing.

I was going to mention something about the second voice, but the whole "playability" thing gets in the way. I couldn't find any other mistakes, so that's all I've got. Nice one!
I decided to just put one big slur from 18-the end. Before, I just had a slur on each measure for the looks, rather than what the song actually is. What I have now yields to the original much better.
Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback!
Links updated.

Sebastian

Thanks for all the feedback on this sheet, guys! I'm actually going to submit something different. I don't need this one on site yet.