News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[NES] The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino & Hoppy - "Title Theme & Ending" by Th3Gavst3r

Started by Zeta, March 14, 2016, 09:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino & Hoppy
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Title Theme & Ending
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Th3Gavst3r

[attachment deleted by admin]

Th3Gavst3r

Latios212

GRAND DAD?? ??

Quick things:
- Composer should be written with an <and/&> instead of comma.
- Copyright should be "Taito © 1991".
- Slur from 7-8 just like in 11-12.
- Reiterate the mf at the repeat bar in measure 5 (since it comes from a mp at the end).

"Title Screen" sounds sufficient enough to me. (But it's not like I know anything about this game.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

god I don't want to derail this thread I really don't but

god I hate insig

WHAT THE F***
GRAND DAD
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

MaestroUGC

Just going to mention that this is technically a licensed song, so I'd err on the side of not putting it on the main site, arranged or otherwise. It's just best to steer clear of the Hollywood take-down machine.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Latios212 on March 14, 2016, 09:39:35 PMGRAND DAD?? ??

Quick things:
- Composer should be written with an <and/&> instead of comma.
- Copyright should be "Taito © 1991".
- Slur from 7-8 just like in 11-12.
- Reiterate the mf at the repeat bar in measure 5 (since it comes from a mp at the end).

"Title Screen" sounds sufficient enough to me. (But it's not like I know anything about this game.)

Fixed everything.
As for the title, I actually watched an entire longplay for this game (lol) and the song is indeed repeated at the end. So for completeness I think the title's alright.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 14, 2016, 10:42:04 PMJust going to mention that this is technically a licensed song, so I'd err on the side of not putting it on the main site, arranged or otherwise. It's just best to steer clear of the Hollywood take-down machine.

©
To be fair, and not to be a downer or anything, every arrangement published on here is in danger of a copyright claim. In order to produce an arrangement of an existing work for any purpose (performance, distribution, or otherwise) the arranger must obtain express permission of the publisher of the original work, which is usually granted through a license of some sort.1,2 As far as I know, nobody on NSM has ever requested a license to arrange any song, and I seriously doubt any large publisher would consent to having their work made available for free on the internet (and probably wouldn't take the time to respond.) Nintendo, Sony, and every other publisher have identical rights to reproductions as Hanna-Barbera and the consequences are identical. From what I can tell, the usual response is simply a cease and desist, but if the damages are significant enough the publisher might be able to demand compensation. That said, the risks involved with each publisher might not be the same. Indie developers are most likely plenty happy to see fans contributing to their works, but large publishers seem prone to attacking any sort of copyright infringement despite what damage it may cause to their communities. Honestly from the records I found, Nintendo seems to be far more volatile with issuing claims than Hanna-Barbera, but we've gotten this far without them issuing a claim even though we go as far as reusing their name.

We've probably gotten this far because what we do causes, at the very worst, microscopic profit loss. Very little of what we arrange is even available outside of this site, for profit towards the publisher or for free. The internet at large is also completely saturated with other content that redistribute the danger to larger infringements (pretty much safety in numbers.) As for this specific song, it may be more at risk since it's a derivative of the main theme of a (formerly) popular show, and there do appear to be some existing arrangements of the show theme specifically which are available for pay (and I can only assume are properly licensed.) In the long run, this might wind up costing the publisher like 20 bucks or something so it shouldn't be worth their time, but you never know. This is also the only Hanna-Barbera song submitted to the site so far, so the extent of their claim should apply no further.

I think in the end it's up to the staff to decide what we should and shouldn't risk putting on site. I'm not saying we should stop arranging music, I'm of the personal belief that contributing to the community is much more profitable for the publishers in the long run than issuing copyright claims. I'm just saying that awareness of who owns the rights to what we make is also important.
[close]

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

unmotivated

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Nintendo's page for use of games/music/graphics/web site content"While we are grateful for all the requests for permission to use Nintendo properties, we are not able to grant such requests. We receive thousands of requests and we do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline requests for permission for the use of Nintendo properties.

Although we are not able to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. Nintendo cannot provide legal advice."
source

Gotta love how vague they are. Does seem way less aggressive than their page on ROMs and emulators though: "Nintendo will continue to aggressively protect its intellectual property rights."

mikey

unmotivated

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Zeta