Series: Other
Game: Gargoyle's Quest: Ghosts 'n Goblins
Console: Game Boy
Title: Village
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Don Valentino

[attachment deleted by admin]

DonValentino

This one didn't get in with the Halloween update because... I don't really know :v

Sebastian

Quote from: DonValentino on November 20, 2015, 04:54:09 AMThis one didn't get in with the Halloween update because... I don't really know :v
You're not the only one ;)

Some feedback:
- Doesn't it sound like it could use some staccatos in the left hand from measures 1-4?

Other then that it looks perfect!

Olimar12345

Quote from: DonValentino on November 20, 2015, 04:54:09 AMThis one didn't get in with the Halloween update because... I don't really know :v

Time cobstraints, unfortunately.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DonValentino

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 20, 2015, 07:09:05 AM- Doesn't it sound like it could use some staccatos in the left hand from measures 1-4?รง

Sure, Wynaut?

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 20, 2015, 08:52:04 AMTime cobstraints, unfortunately.

Lol it's ok I guessed so, just kidding. 8 measure song tho xD

Sebastian

FireArrow

There's no octaves in measures 5 and 6. 8-bit music only has three voices and the middle one is constantly doing this weird reverb thingy with the melody that I can't really hear - point is it's not playing in unison with the bass ;3.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

DonValentino

Back when I did it yeah I admit I did it wrong. But when I recently recovered this arrangement, after thinking it, I still left the octaves because I think they're a good transition between m. 4 and 7. Think of it this way: adding simply the 9th leap between the G and the lower F would be a little abrupt for the melodic line, yes? However, duplicating the bass would reduce that leap to a 2nd, while still preserving the lower layer. Then it continues going down until the bottom line takes all the spotlight in m. 7; and all in all it doesn't really affect the harmony at all, since this kind of octaves are mere reinforcements of the bass line (and anyways, being half notes, it doesn't hurt at all to emphasize them a little). So what we did is benefit the sonority of that passage while still being faithful to the original!

That said, I really don't have any problem to change it if more people deem it to be unnecessary. But honestly, this kind of personal and thought touches are what really show one's arrangement's quality. Don't forget that following the original song note by note would make it a transcription, whereas an arrangement is something more, let's say, "elaborate".

I can't stop putting what Bespinben did to "Kracko Battle" from Kirby's Epic Yarn as an example. It really shocked me how the plain accuracy of notes the initial arrangement had was turned into an interesting piece with a deep texture by just tweaking it a bit. I couldn't believe it, it still was the same Kracko Battle, but a lot better! (It's on site if you wanna look). Does anyone think Bespinben, for example, arranges note by note? Hah! His arrangements are so good precisely because he doesn't! He enriches the melodies with the harmonies of the song and translates them flawlessly to piano language.

Well granted, for 8-bit songs like these, the palette of things you can do with your personal creativity is really really reduced due to the song being very simple, but all in all there are.

Your observation is completely right and legit though, and thankfully received nonetheless. I'm glad to explain why I did it that way. ;J
Truth is that since I arranged the Wario Land II credits song thanks to the inspirational impulse from Bespin's SML2 Staff Roll, I really awakened to not be afraid of using one's imagination and thinking a little bit ahead of mere and dry accuracy. Hopefully my thoughts are convincing enough! xD

FireArrow

Haha, yeah, bespinben is a god - I should probably try to be less of a transcription machine myself. There's just a few issues I see with this particular case:
a) This is 8-bit music, accuracy is extremely important if you want to keep the whole 3 channel style that's characteristic of it (think: arranging a waltz in 6/8.)
b) Gargoyle's quest (<3) has some heavily baroque inspired stuff, the B section of this piece being a good example of that. One of the "rules" of counter point is no octaves.

On the other side of the coin, you could argue:
a) You didn't include the second voice, so adding your own "channel" isn't introducing something 8-bit music can't do.
b) Bach has used octaves in some of his earlier fugues and likely for a similar reason as you.

Obviously you're qualified enough to make your own decision, so I'll trust you either way. ;3

Bespinben

I better add some of this juicy juice to my signature while I still can bwhahaha! But seriously, you guys are great. I love reading about people's thought processes when it comes to music making. I'll wait for Don's final words, and we'll call it a wrap.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

DonValentino

True, when the octaves are used for reinforcement, they're not counted as parallel octaves, like Bach sometimes did as you point out, or going a little bit further in time. Yeah, and the 3rd channel is doing that echo effect, so notating it would be pointless.

Anyways, it's no biggie, I wouldn't mind removing them at all either. I'm good either keeping or removing them tbh, I think both ways are valid options with their pros and cons.

Sooo, dunno really xD
Hmm, maybe, now that we've got Bespinben into this, whatever he prefers lol

Quote from: FireArrow on November 21, 2015, 10:58:03 PMI should probably try to be less of a transcription machine myself.

Haha actually my first years of arranging were like that. It was like, "c'mon, I transcribed every single note, why doesn't it sound as good as X's arrangements?!". And to be perfectly honest, I've never had ANY fun when arranging until I arranged the WLII credits theme, or the subsequent Kraid's Lair, or Johto Memories. No joke :x

FireArrow

I'd just say to keep them since you've already thought this out so well. ;3

And yeah, I'm pretty OCD when it comes to arranging, so I get a lot of satisfaction in looking at my arrangement and saying "this is 100% accurate." It does make the actual arranging process a lot more tedious though.

Olimar12345

The staccatos in the RH are kind of weird to me, but I think it's fine.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Zeta