Creating .mus / .mid files

Started by Gamma-Ray, November 02, 2015, 04:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamma-Ray

Hi everyone, I have been trying to arrange Pokemon music for quite a long time now and really want to get into arranging and eventually submitting Sheet Music.
I'm curently using MuseScore, mainly because I don't wont to create an account for Finale and I feel pretty comfortable working with it. Unfortunately it seems that I can't create .mus files, and while I should be able to import .mid files, I somehow can't.
Now, is there a way to convert .mscz files to .mus / .mid, perhaps with an external program? Or would you even recommend to not use MuseScore at all?

Thanks for helping.

TheMarioPianist

You can convert the MuseScore file to XML and import that into finale notepad. (It's a free program to download.) All you gotta do is save it from there and you have yourself a mus! Should be able to export a midi out of finale, try that if the midi from MuseScore doesn't work.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Pianist Da Sootopolis

You're also welcome to PM me if you need me to fix stuff that XML messes up.
what is shitpost

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on November 02, 2015, 05:37:10 PMYou're also welcome to PM me if you need me to fix stuff that XML messes up.
Oh yea, forgot to mention that XML conversion can mess some formatting stuff up...let us know if you need something fixed up!

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

JDMEK5

Note to NSM folks: Maybe we should have a pinned topic about this just like the formatting guidelines or something. It seems to come up a lot.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on November 09, 2015, 04:47:40 AMNote to NSM folks: Maybe we should have a pinned topic about this just like the formatting guidelines or something. It seems to come up a lot.
This is a good idea^
Along with mus and midi, a pdf tutorial would be helpful too.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on November 09, 2015, 04:47:40 AMNote to NSM folks: Maybe we should have a pinned topic about this just like the formatting guidelines or something. It seems to come up a lot.
Quote from: mariolegofan on November 09, 2015, 07:47:45 AMThis is a good idea^
Along with mus and midi, a pdf tutorial would be helpful too.
If you want, I could make some form of tutorial later.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on November 09, 2015, 08:57:09 AMIf you want, I could make some form of tutorial later.
You could. I could too.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 09, 2015, 10:14:33 AMYou could. I could too.
That's fine, I think I can handle it. I'll let you know if I need assistance. Expect me to put this up either Thursday night or Friday morning. I'm assuming I should just put it under help?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Awesome!

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on November 11, 2015, 08:03:16 AMI'm assuming I should just put it under help?
We used to have something called NSM Resources which contained tutorials and "how tos" for arranging. I was hoping to revive that.....