[WiiU] Super Mario Maker - "Ghost House (Super Mario Bros.)" by WandringMinstrel

Started by Zeta, October 24, 2015, 05:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Maker
Console: Wii U
Title: Ghost House (Super Mario Bros.)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: WandringMinstrel

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

WandringMinstrel

Less is More. Show, Don't Tell. God is in the Details.
My Arrangements Thread: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7510.0

Bespinben

Nicely done! The last 2 measures just need a quick adjustment:

1.) A voice leading line
2.) The finger substitution notation should note which fingers swap first, hence the 5 to 3 being positioned further right than the 2 to 1
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

WandringMinstrel

1.) Good suggestion, duly noted.
2.) I disagree. Staggering finger substitution numbers like that traditionally wouldn't be done for a simple dyad like this; normally it would only be used for complicated substitutions (e.g., where three or more fingers would be used for a single key) or instances where there is counterpoint in a single hand. And in those instances, they're often placed on beats that line up with other notes in the hand. Finger substitution is more common in organ repertoire, and my understanding is that piano follows generally the same conventions.
Ultimately, how the player moves their fingers is up to them: they are free to ignore all fingering marks based on their preference, after all (my own tendency in this piece is to go 5-4 then 4-3), so trying to specify the order like this is unnecessary and risks visual confusion. Going back through some of my rep, I noticed that dashes are more common than slurs for marking substitutions, so I've made that adjustment and marked the fingerings as suggestions.
I hope that all makes sense, I have a tendency to ramble on about theory.
And to be fair, most of these are based on conventions rather than hard rules, so each person's experience can vary.
Less is More. Show, Don't Tell. God is in the Details.
My Arrangements Thread: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7510.0

Bespinben

And this is why I like working with you on stuff -- you have good reasons for your decisions, and me "critiquing" it is really just finding out what those reasons are and assessing if they are valid (which most of the time they are).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta