[DELETED] [GBA] Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - "Surf" (Replacement) by Altissimo

Started by Zeta, August 22, 2015, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Surf
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Altissimo

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Altissimo

Things:
-Latios and I are debating as to the time signature: 6/8, 12/8, or one of those with doubled note values. Regardless it's sure as hell not 4/4. Especially when it's not even 4-4-with-triplets-so-it's-totally-12/8, it's just some 4/4 monstrosity that sounds correct when you play it back but doesn't look anywhere near like it should. (No offense to the original arranger, I'm just a music theory scrub that cries at stuff like that lmao)
-There seems to be a lot of "fluff" in the original where fullness of sound is achieved by use of octaves and sixths... some of which are not always present in the music. This arrangement incorporates more of the musical lines (as you can tell by the crazy sixteenth notes for instance) into it and tries to fill the space with a variety of stuff that's actually present in the track.
-Accidentals should now be what they actually are instead of "convenience" accidentals

I know playability is definitely a big issue with this arrangement. I haven't really tested it myself but most of it looks *theoretically* possible, though of course I'll need some people to give it a thorough look to see what might need to be changed.

flygon9

Regarding time signatures- Did you consider writing in a quick 3?

Altissimo

It's a possibility, but I really hear a compound meter as opposed to quick 3/4. They're superficially similar but I think the Surf song has too much of an emphasis on each of what I wrote as dotted quarters and not enough emphasis on the eighth notes to warrant those being the beat note.

TheMarioPianist

Of course, like you said, its not 4/4. By the same token, I'm not really getting the triplet type feel nor the 1-2-3-4-5-6 commonly associated with 6/8. I almost get a waltz feel out of this, so you could go 3/4, but I wouldn't trust my judgement. I'm telling you though, for some reason, I'm really getting a down-up-up feeling out of this. You may want to trust people with more theory experience than I, but that's my opinion.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Altissimo

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on August 22, 2015, 08:16:55 PMI'm telling you though, for some reason, I'm really getting a down-up-up feeling out of this. You may want to trust people with more theory experience than I, but that's my opinion.

Weird... because that's the exact reason I think it's compound and not 3/4, actually. 3/4 puts more emphasis on each individual beat than 6/8 (and also tends to put a secondary emphasis on beat 3), and I hear the second and third beats as being FAR less pronounced than the first beat, which is why I hear compound. But that's two votes for 3/4, so maybe I'm wrong in this case. I'd like to hear what Bespinben or one of the updaters with significant theory experience says, though.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Altissimo on August 22, 2015, 09:00:13 PMI'd like to hear what Bespinben or one of the updaters with significant theory experience says, though.

Absolutely. I'd definitely wait for their judgement. However, it really feels like a waltz type song to me. Like I get the same feel from this song as I do from this. And that song is definitely 3/4.

Edit: Wow, just realized this song is actually 3/8. Whoops.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

I also think it's 3/4. A lot of rhythmic clues points towards it, the strong third beat(third 8th note now), the 3 ascending 8ths in the LH in measure 4, and not such a strong triplet feel but more a 1 and 2 and 3 and etc.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

The only reason I don't hate this song is because I remembered to buy max repels at the department store
unmotivated

DonValentino

Altissimo, please follow the formatting rules. Anyways, I'll delete it for now, this is a tremendous amount of work in correcting it and making it match the standards of the site.

Please resubmit it later when you clean it up. At the very very least, please make it match the formatting guidelines. :J

And this goes to everyone, please make sure your arrangement has decent formatting before submitting!