News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[SNES] Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind - "Fair is Foul" by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, March 20, 2015, 08:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Fair is Foul
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Holy bologna! This is my first time looking at your work (haven't check out "Super Bell Hill" yet), and my goodness sir, you do NOT disappoint.

There's just one encee wincy thing that will make your arrangement monumentally more readable.

Layers.

See the little "1 2 3 4" buttons at the bottom of Notepad (and all other Finale)? Those will allow to you write rhythmically independent lines within the same staff. This is referred to as writing in separate layers. Using this tool, you can re-write measures 9-12 like so:

(Also notice that when the stretch in the LH becomes to great I indicate in the score to throw the upper notes to the RH)

Great, great work man. I'm seriously impressed.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Yug_Guy

Thanks Bespinben!  :D

I just uploaded Version 2, which uses the layering like you suggested. I was trying to figure out how to format my music that way, but I couldn't figure out how. So thanks again for showing me!

InsigTurtle

You might want to space those 16th notes in m. 41, 43 and 47 a bit less tightly. I'm not sure which version of Finale you use, so I'm not entirely sure if you can mess around with spacing.

/offtopic The Macbeth reference in the name of the music made me expect something entirely different.

Yug_Guy

I've got Finale Notepad 2012, and as far as I'm concerned, I can't change the spacing. Of course, maybe I just don't know how to yet. We'll see.

/offtopic Yeah, this series is known for it's puns... another song from this game is called "Woolering Heights."

Bespinben

Yeah, Notepad doesn't let you alter measure distribution of system spacing manually. However, sometimes it cramps things together unnecessarily when you copy-paste, so like at m. 41, if you just re-enter a note (any note), Notepad should automatically re-space it.

Also, I was just noticing that you manually wrote in measure numbers via text tool! That's dedication. However, there is much easier (and noticeably more polished) way of doing this:
Quote•Measure numbers are now required. They should occur naturally, but if it is an issue, select the Document tab at the top, then select "edit measure number regions". When the pop up appears, hit "delete" then "add". This should reset them.]

That said, there's a ton of formatting stuff you still can't do, so I took the liberty to do that for you (along with some additional edits like cross-staving, pedaling, 1st/2nd endings, page sizing and margins, and some very small note corrections). Out of all these, just please remember in the future to give some consideration for how something will be played.

[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Bespinben on March 21, 2015, 04:35:25 PMAlso, I was just noticing that you manually wrote in measure numbers via text tool! That's dedication.
No, that's just not knowing how to put them in automatically.

Quote from: Bespinben on March 21, 2015, 04:35:25 PMThat said, there's a ton of formatting stuff you still can't do, so I took the liberty to do that for you (along with some additional edits like cross-staving, pedaling, 1st/2nd endings, page sizing and margins, and some very small note corrections).
Thanks for the edits! "With a Harumph" is a nice touch!

Quote from: Bespinben on March 21, 2015, 04:35:25 PMOut of all these, just please remember in the future to give some consideration for how something will be played.
Do you mean how the pianist would play it, or simply giving more consideration to dynamics, articulations, etc.?

Also: when is it okay to repeat a section? Because you repeated for measures 1-4 & 5-12, but not from 33 to the end. Is there a difference?

Bespinben

Quote from: Yug_Guy on March 21, 2015, 05:40:52 PMDo you mean how the pianist would play it, or simply giving more consideration to dynamics, articulations, etc.?
Dynamics and articulation are always welcome ofc, but what I mean is the physical execution -- fingering, hand positioning, part distribution, etc. In your original version, there were places in the LH where the span between the lower layer and the upper layer was a 15th, a dilemma that could solved a number ways, such as raising the bass up an octave for that moment, or throwing the note the right hand.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on March 21, 2015, 05:40:52 PMAlso: when is it okay to repeat a section? Because you repeated for measures 1-4 & 5-12, but not from 33 to the end. Is there a difference?
M. 33 and beyond, when it "repeats" there's an added layer in the bass that reinforce the V --> I feeling, so that's why I did not use a repeat there.

Yug_Guy

Bespinben

Zeta