News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Problem with Tuplet

Started by CLBGM, December 17, 2012, 02:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLBGM

Hi, I use the Simple Entry Tool when I arrange smth, but sometimes when i have to use tuplets, I don't know how to combine different notes (f.e. quarter with eighth, eighth with sixteenth, etc) in a single tuplet. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

JDMEK5

Alright. Say you wanted a triplet of 16ths. But you wanted the one on the second beat to hold through the third as well. (16th with eighth)

There are two ways to go about this:

1) Start by clicking the tuplet button beside the tie button.
Then while that's held down, place a 16th down where you want it and another directly overtop of the last 16th rest shown.
Disengage the tuplet button by clicking it again and change the highlighted note value to the eighth note.
Click directly overtop of the first note placed. Then right-click the rest in the center and hit the 'delete' key on your keyboard.

2) Place a 16th and an eighth beside each other on the notes you want.
Click the tuplet tool button beside the simple entry tool.
Double-click on the first note in your group, and set the definition accordingly.

I highly recommend the second method; it provides way more options.

Did that answer your question?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

CLBGM

Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 17, 2012, 03:01:38 PMAlright. Say you wanted a triplet of 16ths. But you wanted the one on the second beat to hold through the third as well. (16th with eighth)

There are two ways to go about this:

1) Start by clicking the tuplet button beside the tie button.
Then while that's held down, place a 16th down where you want it and another directly overtop of the last 16th rest shown.
Disengage the tuplet button by clicking it again and change the highlighted note value to the eighth note.
Click directly overtop of the first note placed. Then right-click the rest in the center and hit the 'delete' key on your keyboard.

2) Place a 16th and an eighth beside each other on the notes you want.
Click the tuplet tool button beside the simple entry tool.
Double-click on the first note in your group, and set the definition accordingly.

I highly recommend the second method; it provides way more options.

Did that answer your question?

Ok, i tried the 2nd option and it works, but .. what happens if you have a measure (4/4) 3/4 filled (1/4 is missing) and i want a tuplet of: quarter + 8th. I can't do the second option because i can't type 1.5 in the space of 1. Thanks for answering btw. :)

Dudeman

I had a problem like that once. What I think I did is I wrote the notes that would still fit in the measure and put those notes into a tuplet and then filled in the missing space. Or something like that.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Zunawe

The first option JDMEK gave you should fix that, but you can also create what you want in a separate measure, and then drag only that beat into the measure you want, or create the tuplet first and then fill in the rest of the stuff before it.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

CLBGM

yeah, i think all your answers are useful. Thank you guys.