News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Sustain Pedal Question

Started by MasterProX, September 29, 2012, 10:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterProX

If I have a pedal marking thing (whatever it's called) at the beginning of a measure to sustain a note, and the same note that's being sustained is played again, will the note also be sustained the second time?  (If what I said didn't make sense, refer to the picture.)

Trying to rephrase the question, if the first measure in the pic doesn't sound exactly like how the second measure would, how would I change the first measure so that it sounds like the second measure?  Or is the second measure the only way to make something sound like that?

I suck ass at asking questions...

JDMEK5

If you had the sustain marking going all the way through the measure like you do in the first picture, the notes will hit and sustain the second time, and it will be very smooth.*
*(Subject to your actual touch with the piano)
If you have a piano with a pedal, try it.

An alternate method is to end the first pedal mark on the 4th eighth note, and start another (pedal mark) for the second set [of 4 eighth notes].
It just depends on what feel you're going for.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Zunawe

Every note played while the pedal is down will be sustained for longer than your finger is holding the note, yet each note can still be re-attacked. A piano works by hitting tuned strings, and when you release the key, something mutes that string, kind of like if you grab a guitar string after it's been plucked. A pedal makes it so that the strings aren't muted when you release the key, but are muted when you release the pedal. Look inside a grand piano if you get the chance. Play around with the pedals and keys.

If you're just asking about notation programs, they work the same way as real life.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things