General Arrangement Help

Started by TheZeldaPianist275, August 23, 2012, 07:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheZeldaPianist275

So I know how to arrange.  That said, I'm not extremely good.  The quality of my sheets just generally seems lower than that of others.  Also, it takes me FOREVER to turn out a sheet.  Months.  Part of this is just having other things on my schedule, but it still takes a long time.
So I am wondering:  How does one get better at arranging?  Is it just practice?  Or are there exercises I can do to improve my ear and my technique?  If so, what?
Thanks in advance!

spitllama

What tools do you use when you arrange? Do you have very good pitch?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

TheZeldaPianist275

I have my computer reasonably close to my piano and regularly access it whilst arranging.  As for pitch, I can hear notes and identify them somewhat well, but I don't know what to compare myself to with that, so I'm not entirely sure how good I am.

spitllama

I say just practice. Since making my first arrangement I've learned a lot just from trying progressively harder things. I'm still learning and I'm no pro yet, but the Help! thread and Ruto's topic full of guides are your friends. Eventually, you'll find certain tweaks to making arrangements that make your life so much easier (hotkeys, etc.), you'll actually be able to guess notes ahead of time without using the piano... stuff like that. You might look into googling some theory lessons online or using a program that can manipulate music tracks and help you arrange.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

JDMEK5

He's right. With enough time, you'll be able to hear a note and instantly tell what it is.

Knowledge of theory also helps.
As for theory lessons, I can teach/tell you anything you need to know..

What I like to do when starting a new project from scratch is, put the song on my phone or mp3 player, and play along with it.
I'll start with a familiar melody line, and do it over and over again until I know what the notes are.
Sometimes on the first few tries I'll get 3 notes in a 12 second section... But eventually it works. Patience and persistence.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

I had been in choir far longer than I've been playing piano, so when I started making piano transcriptions, I relied solely on tonal memory. You don't need to have perfect pitch at all to be able to remember the sound of a note. When you're transcribing, just let that note your listening to continue to ring in your head while you adjust the pitch of the note in Finale until it matches the one ringing in your head.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on August 24, 2012, 03:09:02 PMjust let that note your listening to continue to ring in your head while you adjust the pitch of the note in Finale until it matches the one ringing in your head.
Takes practice, but yeah. That's how it works.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

TheZeldaPianist275

Thanks all!  This was helpful!  :D

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

TheZeldaPianist275

Bump, cuz one more question.

How does one get better at hearing harmony?  How can I hear notes that are buried in other notes?

Shadoninja

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on September 01, 2012, 03:58:29 PMBump, cuz one more question.

How does one get better at hearing harmony?  How can I hear notes that are buried in other notes?
I listen with headphones and loop the chord in audacity. I will then try to hum each note I hear.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

TheZeldaPianist275

Ooh, wearing headphones might be helpful!  That would split the audio, if I'm not mistaken.  Thanks Shado!  But how would Audacity be more helpful than just listening to something on YouTube or Windows Media Player?

Shadoninja

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on September 01, 2012, 04:43:27 PMOoh, wearing headphones might be helpful!  That would split the audio, if I'm not mistaken.  Thanks Shado!  But how would Audacity be more helpful than just listening to something on YouTube or Windows Media Player?
Audacity can select and play a portion of the music. If I need to repeat a phrase over and over, I don't need to go back to that section on youtube/media player and potentially go back too far and then I waste time listening to something I don't need.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman