What are you reading right now?

Started by ChrisLeeFan1118, April 20, 2012, 03:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Re-reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and just read Dickens' Christmas Carol the other day.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Mashi

Speaking of which, 1984 is the best book in the world and you should all read it.

Greg

Reading Lord of the Flies, what a depressing book.
1984's in our school's grade 12 English curriculum! I guess that's for next year... I already read way too far ahead on our school books. >_>

Ruto

Yah, required 10th grade reading here...it was great though. My class loved to argue. I also remembered watching Roshomon in the same class.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Fleetstar The Flygon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on April 21, 2012, 06:23:21 PMThat's wheel of time, isn't it?  I read up to like the 10th book in middle school but never motivated myself to keep going cause it got pretty convoluted and really dragged on.
A series made up of 800 page books that goes on for like 12 or whatever will do that I guess :\
Someone who has actually read some?
I agree; if you compared the first book to the fifth or sixth, you would have thought they were from a totally different series. At first it started all whimsical and Tolkien-like, and then everything started centering around politics...

Jamaha

Oh, thanks for reminding me. Really need to read 1984.

KefkaticFanatic

I also recommend Brave New World if you haven't read that already, also dystopia, also great book.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Today I finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It was extremely interesting, weirdly well-researched, and completely historically accurate beyond the vampires. A surprising amount of ambition clearly went into writing the book. In fact, it reads like a history book. The gory parts were extremely amusing and also horrifying. Not sure if I'm gonna see the movie, it'd be quite interesting though. Hmm.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

spitllama

Wait the movie is based on a book? ... may have to see it now. I thought it was just some movie director's lame idea.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

I did too, and picked up the book expecting it to be incredibly stupid. But it wasn't.

Oh and if this tells you anything, in addition to writing the screenplay for the film, the book's author also wrote Tim Burton's film Dark Shadows...and that movie was a bit lackluster so idk.

SuperFireKirby

How can you expect a book to be stupid when the cover is THIS?

the author also happened to write this one as well:

Equally beautiful.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Lol I saw that, it looked beautiful. Also I have the movie tie-in cover which looks even more badass: