Magma Flows - Kirby Air Ride Help

Started by Globety, February 28, 2012, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globety

So currently, I am learning the Magma Flows (individual version) song from Kirby Air Ride, and am currently stuck. My right hand can effectively play the entire song right now, but my left hand is stuck at the part at the beginning (Measures 6-30 for those looking at the sheet music).

Main Issue: The jumps for my left hand are too big for the speed at which the song is going. I'm getting better, but I can only play it right now at about half-ish the BPM I need without making mistakes. However, I don't want to make the song significantly easier; I want to preserve the epicness (for lack of a better word) of the song.

Is there any suggestions to either improve myself or change the arrangement notes so I can play more easily? The jumping is the main problem.
Why is the rum always gone?

Shadoninja

The only suggestion I have is to practice it slowly and then gradually increase the tempo. I think that's the only thing you can do in this situation.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

That'll be tough no matter how you slice it... Shado's right. All you can really do is start slow...
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Globety

I've been trying that for a while, and just as I think I can pick up tempo, I lose accuracy and hit notes I shouldn't.

There is one guy on youtube I saw whose had stays relatively in the same area. I'll get a link later (I can't get to youtube from where I am right now), but he should be the top video if you search "magma flows piano"
Why is the rum always gone?

JDMEK5

He lowered the off-beat notes an octave and left out all the notes that were the same or lower in pitch than his original bass line.
So he played the A, then the C and E directly above, then the C, then the E above that.
So it won't look or sound nearly as impressive, but it works. I do that sometimes...
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Fleetstar The Flygon

I have the same issue with OoT Horse Race, so I just push my way through and hope the R.H covers up my mistakes. :P The only suggestion I would have is to play the R.H as loud as you can and the L.H as quiet, if you don't want to patch it up.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Fleetstar The Flygon on March 11, 2012, 05:03:47 PMI have the same issue with OoT Horse Race, so I just push my way through and hope the R.H covers up my mistakes. :P The only suggestion I would have is to play the R.H as loud as you can and the L.H as quiet, if you don't want to patch it up.
In pieces with that marching left hand, it's very important to hear the bass because it drives the piece.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

What about lowering the top notes of the left hand an octave?
It would give you that syncopated bass run thing. (e.g. Opening - Banjo-Kazooie)
That's what I do most of the time when I run into a problem like that.
It makes the song sound plenty fast and usually pretty impressive too.

My Arrangements