Amazing Break-Through in Acquiring Video Game MIDI Files!

Started by Ragster2448, October 30, 2011, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragster2448

That's right, the title says it all. I've learnt an easy way to get MIDI files from Video Games. Here's a quick sample of a MIDI file that I've found. If anyone has a question or is intrigued about my discovery, please speak up!

TUTORIAL

Before I give you a tutorial, I must point out: I DID NOT DO THIS ILLEGALLY. All the ROM files I downloaded were of games that I already have. Also, I only know how to do this with DS games currently. I'll still keep researching on ways to extract music from other systems (some others are NES and SNES, I can post tutorials for them later if wanted). Along with this, some (and probably most) DS games don't work with this process. Don't be mad if they don't! I'm still trying to figure out ways of doing this better.

Alright, what you'll need to do the MIDI extraction:
 - The ROM of the DS game that you want to extract music from.
 - The extraction program, called ndssdext.exe (I've uploaded the program to my Mediafire).
 Nope, no Emulator required. Now, let's start.

1. Take both the DS ROM and the extractor and place them both in the same directory. Make sure nothing else is there because some games will dump the files into that directory, making it all cluttered. So make a file in your documents or somewhere and place only those two things in there.

2. Open Command Prompt. Hopefully you're familiar with this and can navigate it well. Type in "help" and press enter to get help on it.

3. Navigate your Command Prompt to the directory you created. Now, once your command prompt is in the right location, type this line of code:

ndssdext.exe -s XXX.nds (XXX being the ROMs name (Be sure to take out spaces of the actual file name, or else Command Prompt will become confused))

Hopefully you'll see all kinds of files being listed. This means it's extracting the music. Once it is done, you'll see a new folder in your directory with the title of the game that you extracted from.

4. Once your in that folder, go into the folder "sequence" and you'll see a bunch of MIDI files. But, the bad news, they're not all named. You'll most likely see 000A, 000B, 000C, 001A, 002B, and so on and so on. You'll just have to go exploring!

Welp, there you go. If you are most utterly confused, tell me and I'll upload pictures to make it much easier.

Dude

:o

I've seen it done with NES, SNES, and GBA, but not N64! Show meeee.

Ragster2448

It's actually from the DS version. So I'm guessing you already know how to do this?

Dude

Yeah, it's been a while though so I haven't been keeping up. :P

fingerz

Quote from: Ragster2448 on October 30, 2011, 05:45:10 PMIf anyone has a question or is intrigued about my discovery, please speak up! I'll post a tutorial of how to do get these MIDIs if people want to know.
SPEAK UP.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

dahans

Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Ragster2448

Alright, the tutorial has been added. If you're confused I'll upload pictures to make it easier.

I'll be doing some more research and inform you all when I find something!

fingerz

I don't know whether you should have links to ROM downloading sites posted. That's illegal in itself, encouraging people to check out those sites. XD
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Winter