News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Problem while playing piano

Started by DonValentino, August 29, 2011, 04:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Recently, when I play the piano, I fell a terrible pain in my wrist, hand and even arm while playing songs like this, and I have to stop playing and rest a little bit. I went to the doctor: I had nothing. I asked my piano teacher: Said that could be some articulation problem and it will disappear soon. *Insert Spongebob´s narrator voice* Three weeks later... *Return to normal voice* still the same. Any idea what could it be? It only happens in songs like that, when you have to play the same chord again and again with a single hand.

It´s very odd, since 2-3 months ago I could play that song perfectly.  ???

EDIT: Also, I searched online problems that commonly affect pianists and some other pages with the right hand collocation on the keyboard (and nope, I put the right posture). I´m a little desperate, y´know, and I fear that it could go worse. Anyone had this same experience?

Clanker37

You might need to relax more. Make sure your shoulders are down and your upper body is loose. I get a pain in my wrist when I get very tense.

Olimar12345

I think its because of the octaves in the right hand-I know when I play alot of things in octaves that after a while it starts to hurt.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DrP

I get it a lot. If I play for more than 20 minutes I get it. I'm just always tense and I do lots of things that are against good use of my wrists. I do lots of things with my hands in a similar fashion (like typing ALOT), but I dont get cramps when I type.

It could just be irritated or onset Carpal Tunnel.

DonValentino

Quote from: DrP on August 29, 2011, 10:20:58 AMI get it a lot. If I play for more than 20 minutes I get it. I'm just always tense and I do lots of things that are against good use of my wrists. I do lots of things with my hands in a similar fashion (like typing ALOT), but I dont get cramps when I type.

It could just be irritated or onset Carpal Tunnel.

20 mins? I get it after playing that song only once! It could be irritated/onset Carpal Tunnel too...
I´ll try to relax my body more while playing, BTW. Thanks everyone!  :)

And c´mon! I´ve done lots on things with my arrangements thread! I´ve even organized the games by series and amplified the to-do list! Not even an opinion on my new arrangement or thread look?  ;-;

KefkaticFanatic

Use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Sports-Gyro-Wrist-Exerciser/dp/B000LPG5US

If you play piano a lot, use the computer often, or have some other kind of regular minor wrist movement happening then you should be exercising somehow to avoid carpal tunnel and related crap.

me irl
[close]

DonValentino

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on August 29, 2011, 10:37:59 AMUse one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-Sports-Gyro-Wrist-Exerciser/dp/B000LPG5US

If you play piano a lot, use the computer often, or have some other kind of regular minor wrist movement happening then you should be exercising somehow to avoid carpal tunnel and related crap.

Ah! I have one of these!  :o