News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Best way to learn rhythm notation?

Started by Jub3r7, June 14, 2011, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jub3r7

I've honestly wanted to arrange for this site, but as soon as I tried, I discovered that I had no idea how to write down the rhythms.
Sure, I can read the rhythms and play them on the piano, and I can write down all the notes, but I honestly suck at rhythm notation.

In your opinion, what is the best way to learn how to notate rhythm?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

universe-X

Well, I'd be the last person to go to for this sorta thing :P But my best bet would be to count during the song.

Like for example, the Underground theme in Super Mario Bros., you can count 1, 2, 3, 4, see where the notes fall in, and keep going like that, etc. If you need to slow it down, I heard Windows Media Player helps.

This is coming from a person who's only arranged 2 songs for the sight though :P

SlowPokemon

Quote from: universe-X on June 14, 2011, 11:36:29 AMCount 1, 2, 3, 4, see where the notes fall in

This. Another way is if you have the song memorized, try to tap out with your hands the song, using your left hand for the main beat (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) and your right for the melody.

Sometimes it does get confusing, but you'll have no trouble with enough practice. Arranging songs helps you play piano better as well.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Brassman388

Quote from: Jub3r7 on June 14, 2011, 10:30:38 AMIn your opinion, what is the best way to learn how to notate rhythm?

Practice? I was never good at arranging either till I did it all the time.

fingerz

I have no trouble at all with rythm. What I do is I just slow down the beats so quavers become crotchets.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

JDMEK5

I'm no genius but I usually just kinda guess, put it down on the program, then check and correct it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Sekter77

I'm going to agree with Brassman. Practice is the best way. I count along with every song I hear so I know on what beats the notes fall. Songs with more complex time signatures are great practice because everyone gets used to simple 4/4 time when there's such a greater variety of rhythms available. Once you're familiar with a song, just subdivide the beats and count.
Guitar and video games.