News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Musical Inspiration/Motivation?

Started by Master_Z, July 21, 2010, 10:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master_Z

So I'm having this problem. When I listen to compositions and arrangements (any genre), my mind goes wild. I start humming bass lines, countermelodies, etc, harmonizing and creating things that sound really good. But when I try to compose in Finale or w/e program, all of that goes down the drain and I have zero motivation to continue and normally just quit after a few minutes. I'd love to arrange for NSM, but I'm having this problem. Any way to help?

MaestroUGC

Well I see one of two problems:
1) Depending on how well trained you are with composition techniques and music theory, you may be unable to write down what you hear in your head.
2) You don't have the will to finish.

The answer to the first one is simple, get some training and just write. Once you actually finish something, you will want to do more, trust me.

The answer to the second one depends on how dedicated you are to music and yourself. Simply take some time everyday or so to work on a composition/arrangement; don't just abandon a work after 10 minutes.

Don't expect your first composition/arrangement to come easy; if you keep abandoning your music because you're not seeing it unfold the way your heard in your head, then you will always have this problem.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Maretocks

I know exactly what you mean. I can't compose. I can embellish.

<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>