News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Corrupted MIDI: Mario 64 Medley

Started by shane91c, March 17, 2009, 05:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane91c

While testing the MIDI parser for my PCAno program, it has come to my attention that the current MIDI File for G-Han's Super Mario 64 Medley is corrupted. It seems to have been truncated, because the Length bytes for the last track specify that there is more data than there actually is, also the "End of Track" marker is not present. The combination of both of these causes Windows Media Player to say it's corrupted, also my parser locked up in an infinite loop trying to find the end of the track which simply does not exist (I will be putting a check in so invalid MIDI's such as that one will not cause damage).

I've no idea where the data has gone, but if I remember rightly it was not corrupted before the domain problems, so I assume it was corrupted in the backup - Which also leads me to believe there may also be other corrupted files in the backup.

I have edited the corrupted MIDI so that it plays (by Hex editing the length tag and adding an End-Of-Track marker), but it seems that the left hand notes from the end of the file (the Ending theme) are missing - Maybe someone who luckily still has a free version (or a paid version :P) of Finale Notepad can re-export the MIDI?

For now, here is the semi-repaired MIDI (it works and sounds OK, but no bass at the end):

http://pcano.arcticfoxservices.com/Medley.mid

^ Some active members would be nice.... :(

Main NSM Site

MasterPenguin

Wouldn't it have been easier to go to the mus, and simply save it as a midi? (Or do you not have Finale?)

shane91c

Quote from: MasterPenguin on March 17, 2009, 05:19:47 PMWouldn't it have been easier to go to the mus, and simply save it as a midi? (Or do you not have Finale?)

Quote from: shane91c on March 17, 2009, 05:03:28 PMMaybe someone who luckily still has a free version (or a paid version :P) of Finale Notepad can re-export the MIDI?

I don't have it, and I wanted the MIDI to work there and then, so, considering I was writing a MIDI parser and therefore am well aware of the internal structure of a MIDI file, it was a simple edit for me :D

Why did Finale have to stop doing their free version... lol

Main NSM Site

MasterPenguin

Oh, hah. I should read the full post. :/

I exported it, here's what it turns out to be. Sounds pretty identical: Click Me.

And lastly, there are mirrors for the free version. You can find two here:

Finale 2008 (PC): Click Me
Finale 2007 (Mac): Click Me

shane91c

Great! The MIDI is fixed and I found a free version of Finale. Killed two birds with one stone there MasterPenguin :D

Main NSM Site