News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[NES] DuckTales - "Himalayas" (Replacement) by Fullmetalgrudo

Started by Zeta, September 18, 2023, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloop

This is looking pretty good! Just a few tiny things:
-You could rewrite the grace notes in m1 as Fx and B# (similar to the Fx and B# in m3)
-m12: You could write the R.H. D# in beat 3.5 as a staccato 8th note instead of a 16th
-m13: The L.H. E in beat 3.25 should be a staccato 8th (to be consistent with the rest of the sheet)
-m17: The Gn's in beat 3 in the L.H. could be Fx's too

Fullmetalgrudo

Thanks for your feedback!

I agree for m1 and m13 but I prefer m12 and m17 the way they are. On m12, I like the idea of three 16th, like four with a missing one, where all three notes have the same articulation and with a short rest before beat 4. On m17, I consider the third beat as a C# diminished so Gn is fine in this case and more straightforward to read.

I will do the changes on m1 and m13 soon!

Bloop

Quote from: Fullmetalgrudo on July 11, 2024, 04:28:16 AMI agree for m1 and m13 but I prefer m12 and m17 the way they are. On m12, I like the idea of three 16th, like four with a missing one, where all three notes have the same articulation and with a short rest before beat 4.
I see your reasoning yeah, but I'm just wondering how it'd differ compared to the other places in the R.H. where you did use a staccato 16th? Because the original is an 8-bit song, it's hard to really discern any articulation between them other than long or short.

Fullmetalgrudo

Obviously the original 8-bit song doesn't help but when it comes to play it... It's really hard to explain how I feel but for that measure, I don't see any reason why the second D# should be different than the first one on beat 3... Sometimes, using a 8th with a staccato makes it easier to read, like on measure 1 or on measure 2 beat 3 (the rhythm that I call "syncopette" but I don't know the english word, may be the same?). Sometimes it might also depends on the melody, like in measure 8, where the 8th notes with staccatos are parts of the same melodic line (which starts on measure 8 beat 1 and ends on measure 9 beat 1) whereas 16th notes would look more like rhythmic elements making the melody less clear. It may also be about the interpretation, where a 16th followed by a rest is a bit too mechanical whereas a 8th with a staccato on it sounds more lively although it's a bit subjective. But on measure 12, to me any of those reasons apply here and the 16th seems to be the best choice imo.

By the way, we could also use slurs for the phrasing but it's like staccatos, it's not clearly written in the original, it's more about how we hear the music and how we understand it. And that's why it's not that easy to all agree with each other.

Fullmetalgrudo

I did the modification mentionned above about measure 1 and 13 and *rolldrum* I finally installed java and the xml cleaner program *applauses* ! And I'm taking time to watch closely the imported file on Finale NotePad. Firstable, I still have the following message when importing the .musicxml file:

"Attribute "type" with value "grace-cue" must have a value from the list "cue grace large "."

About what the sheet looks like, good news is that measure numbers are there, mini-title and page number are there on page 2, copyright is just on the first page as it's supposed to be, but there are several things that change from the original :

1. Title and subtitle are now horizontally centered on the page (whereas they were a bit shifted to the right on Musescore because I think Musescore leave a bigger margin on the left of the page maybe for binding purposes) but I don't know if it's an issue or not. I'm ok with both.

2. Subtitle is too close from the title.

3. Tempo marking is too far from the first staff.

4. The "1x only" is too close from the stem above.

5. There isn't enough space for the grace note on measure 5.

6. Staccatos measure 5 and 7 on beat 1 moved.

7. Some slurs could be adjusted, like on LH on measure 4, but it's not a big deal.

8. Ottavas are too shifted to the right and too long.

And it may be more...  :'(

EDIT: found a new one! 9. Parentheses on the notes in measure 2 beat 1 disapeared.

NB: I've just remembered that Kricketune54 had made some formatting on Finale for the last upload fixing the ottavas (and adding a dynamic which I didn't put on Musescore). But since I modified my Musescore file, I should redo those modifications too.

Well... I progress, but now I have to try to fix all of those problems... I leave this post but I'm looking for help on Discord. See you later for more update ^^'

Fullmetalgrudo

- Fixed issues n° 2, 3 and 4 by adding more space on the Musescore sheet before exporting the XML.

- Fixed issues n° 6, 8 and 9 by using the tools on NotePad (oh and I moved the ottava line a little bit upper).

About the other issues:

1. Title and subtitle are now horizontally centered on the page
5. There isn't enough space for the grace note on measure 5
7. Some slurs could be adjusted, like on LH on measure 4

I just decided these were not really worth the trouble ^^

And I uploaded mus, mid and pdf from NotePad !

Bloop

I fixed the grace note issue for you, the title/subtitle being centered is fine (that's what the formatting guidelines say), and the slurs look good to me too. So I'll accept!

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot