Series: Other
Game: The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
Console: PlayStation Portable
Title: Resonating Heart
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: cacabish

cacabish

Bloop

-m17: I don't think I hear the F in the L.H.
-m24: I hear a (very) low Bb an octave below the L.H. here too
-m29: I don't think I hear the Db in the R.H. and the top Gb in the L.H. on beat 1, and the Db on beat 3. Some of these might be overtone shenanigans
-m40: There are some (very) soft chords in the R.H. in beat 1 and 2 here too: did you intentionally exclude them?
-m42: The grace notes should chromatically descend from the Bb in m8, i.e. the grace notes should be Bbb, Ab, Abb and Gb. Also, it sounds like the full chord is rolled: maybe you could put the R.H. Db in the L.H. instead and add an arpeggio wavy line to that chord?

Static

Just popping in to mention that this game was actually originally released only for PSP in 2010, so it should be under the [PSP] tag instead of [MUL]. With few exceptions, we go by the original platform release.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on March 05, 2024, 03:37:07 PMJust popping in to mention that this game was actually originally released only for PSP in 2010, so it should be under the [PSP] tag instead of [MUL]. With few exceptions, we go by the original platform release.
Updated this!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cacabish

Quote from: Static on March 05, 2024, 03:37:07 PMJust popping in to mention that this game was actually originally released only for PSP in 2010, so it should be under the [PSP] tag instead of [MUL]. With few exceptions, we go by the original platform release.
Ahhh. Thanks for the catch! I just got mired in the details of all the console releases, thought too hard about it, and just went with [MUL] as the fallback. I'll remember to simplify my thinking next time.

Quote from: Bloop on March 05, 2024, 02:11:40 PM-m17: I don't think I hear the F in the L.H.
Yeah, I was debating that one. It always felt too strong to me, but I swore I could hear it too. Probably overtone shenanigans. I agree with you here, so I've removed it.

Quote from: Bloop on March 05, 2024, 02:11:40 PM-m24: I hear a (very) low Bb an octave below the L.H. here too
Yep, I agree

Quote from: Bloop on March 05, 2024, 02:11:40 PM-m29: I don't think I hear the Db in the R.H. and the top Gb in the L.H. on beat 1, and the Db on beat 3. Some of these might be overtone shenanigans
I swear I can hear a Db in beat 1, but not confidently. However, after removing the other ones (which I agree are probably overtone shenanigans), it's clear what the pattern should be; just parallel RH octaves, so I think it's probably more overtone shenanigans. I've removed all these.

Quote from: Bloop on March 05, 2024, 02:11:40 PM-m40: There are some (very) soft chords in the R.H. in beat 1 and 2 here too: did you intentionally exclude them?
(I'm presuming you mean measure 41 here) Nope! I completely missed them! :P
I can hear beat 1 (strange how I missed that), but had to crank my volume to hear beat 2. Now that they're there, I think an al niente is super appropriate here, so I've added that. Great catch!

Quote from: Bloop on March 05, 2024, 02:11:40 PM-m42: The grace notes should chromatically descend from the Bb in m8, i.e. the grace notes should be Bbb, Ab, Abb and Gb. Also, it sounds like the full chord is rolled: maybe you could put the R.H. Db in the L.H. instead and add an arpeggio wavy line to that chord?
Yeah, I thought of the arpeggio but I was afraid with how messy it is with grace notes, accidentals, jazz...iness, that it would just introduce more clutter. But the Db in the LH is a really good idea and helps to keep things grouped nicely!

---
Alrighty, that should be everything addressed! Files are updated. Thanks for the lightning fast feedback, Bloop! I was not expecting feedback that quickly! :D

Bloop

Just two tiny things!
-m17: The courtesy accidental in the L.H. isn't really needed here, the Bb's have been Bb's for this whole sheet already, and since there's a modulation there's not really a need to further indicate accidentals.
-m40: Instead of just "al niente", it's best to use "dim. al niente" instead

Quote from: cacabish on March 05, 2024, 08:32:43 PMThanks for the lightning fast feedback, Bloop! I was not expecting feedback that quickly! :D
I happened to be looking at it and decided to leave my comments haha, you're welcome!

cacabish

Quote from: Bloop on March 06, 2024, 06:47:31 AM-m17: The courtesy accidental in the L.H. isn't really needed here, the Bb's have been Bb's for this whole sheet already, and since there's a modulation there's not really a need to further indicate accidentals.
Ah, oops. I meant to flag the Db as the courtesy (since you're going from Bb Major to Bb Minor), but in this case, I now realize I'd also have to do the Gb by that logic, so I'll just scrap it.

Quote from: Bloop on March 06, 2024, 06:47:31 AM-m40: Instead of just "al niente", it's best to use "dim. al niente" instead
Sounds good to me! Out of curiosity, is there is a specific reason to spell it all out (other than just being less terse and more explicit)? I've seen a couple pieces of music where it's just "al niente" as the conclusion.

---
More speedy work from Bloop! Mario would definitely have trouble dodging you. Files updated.

Bloop

Quote from: cacabish on March 06, 2024, 12:06:28 PMOut of curiosity, is there is a specific reason to spell it all out (other than just being less terse and more explicit)? I've seen a couple pieces of music where it's just "al niente" as the conclusion.
It personally felt a bit weird to have something stated as "moderately strong to nothing". You can probably assume it means to decrease in intensity, but it feels more logical to have it specifically written out. It's also one of the two things that Behind Bars recommends, the other being a hairpin with a circle at its end, but with the recommendation to specify the meaning of the circle if it happens more often.

Anyway, I'll approve!

Latios212

Great sheet! Just a handful of smallish things to comment on and we should be good!

- Double barline at the segno?
- The systems could be moved up a bit on page 1 and down a bit on page 2 to leave a bit more space around the footer/header respectively.
- When cross-staving in m. 23, it's generally best to have the angle of the beam follow the contour of the notes. You can use the Beam Angle tool to make it point up.
- In m. 24, it'd be best to have a small bracket hook along with the 8vb to more conspicuously tie it to just that one octave.
- It sounds like m. 25 should have a Bb on top of the right hand chord.
- I think a dynamic change (to f) in m. 25 would be good to accompany the espressivo.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cacabish

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 06:39:00 PM- Double barline at the segno?
Yeah, I didn't think of that, but it looks nice!

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 06:39:00 PM- The systems could be moved up a bit on page 1 and down a bit on page 2 to leave a bit more space around the footer/header respectively.
Good call. I've moved 'em a bit, let me know if you think I should do more/less.

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 06:39:00 PM- When cross-staving in m. 23, it's generally best to have the angle of the beam follow the contour of the notes. You can use the Beam Angle tool to make it point up.
Yeah, I did think it looked odd, but it's what Finale did by default so I was just like "alright then, Finale" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I shouldn't have trusted Finale... -_-
Fixed that now (definitely didn't take me 7 tries to figure it out)

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 06:39:00 PM- In m. 24, it'd be best to have a small bracket hook along with the 8vb to more conspicuously tie it to just that one octave.
Fair call there. I've seen bracket-less 8vb's before in music, so I figured this applies, but I think yours communicates better.

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 06:39:00 PM- It sounds like m. 25 should have a Bb on top of the right hand chord.
Hmmm... I can't confidently say I hear this, but the opposite is true too. The overtones are tricking me and so I can't say for certain it's not there, but it really feels like it's an F on top for the chord. For me, this is just repeating the melody motif from the previous 2 systems, so I feel like it makes sense to really frame that well instead of throwing a Bb on top, which will muddy the melody. Also, if it's there, it's really faint, so notating it might give rise to people playing it forcefully, which is definitely not what the piece does. Anyways, you check again and let me know. If you're pretty sure it's there, I'm cool adding it since I'm on the fence.

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 06:39:00 PM- I think a dynamic change (to f) in m. 25 would be good to accompany the espressivo.
Sounds good to me! Had to make a bit of space here or there, but nothing bad.

---
Alrighty, files are updated! Sorry about the late response, but thanks for all the feedback, Latios!

Latios212

Quote from: cacabish on March 17, 2024, 02:54:16 PMHmmm... I can't confidently say I hear this, but the opposite is true too. The overtones are tricking me and so I can't say for certain it's not there, but it really feels like it's an F on top for the chord. For me, this is just repeating the melody motif from the previous 2 systems, so I feel like it makes sense to really frame that well instead of throwing a Bb on top, which will muddy the melody. Also, if it's there, it's really faint, so notating it might give rise to people playing it forcefully, which is definitely not what the piece does. Anyways, you check again and let me know. If you're pretty sure it's there, I'm cool adding it since I'm on the fence.
Ah yeah listening again I'm not totally sure if it's there or not, but in context of the previous measures it makes sense to omit! I hadn't noticed that before.

Quote from: cacabish on March 17, 2024, 02:54:16 PMFair call there. I've seen bracket-less 8vb's before in music, so I figured this applies, but I think yours communicates better.
Partially personal preference but I think I picked this up from Behind Bars. I think the additional specificity helps to be super clear it applies just for the one note!

I've got nothing else; this looks great. Nice work, time to accept :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta