[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Kakariko Village (Day)" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, October 19, 2023, 02:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Kakariko Village (Day)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

Bloop

Kricketune54

Sorry for the wait on this one!

• m8 and m16 LH 4.0 and 4.5 hearing a Bn in addition to the current notes on both beats
• m14 RH not hearing a grace note on 5.0
• m22 RH small detail the 8va at start of the bar could go down a little
• m23 and m28 RH the G-A-G-E movement starting on 4.75 sounds like triplets as opposed to 16th notes

Bloop

Kricketune54

Okay! Looks good  :) I like the creative choices made here and how expressive one can choose to play this

Latios212

Taking a peek!

- It sounds to me like the low percussive strikes on beat 1 and 5 of the intro (and most but not all other places on the first two pages) are low E's, rather than G. I noticed you have it as E in some places later on, but it sounds like most of these strikes are E to me? That'd also match what we have in this sheet https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/3532.
- The slur contour between m. 23-24 could be neater and less exaggerated.
- Lower tie should be flipped downwards entering m. 20.
- I think it would make more sense to have measure 29 be the 7/4 measure instead of m. 28. The low drum and resolution of the melody to the E would fall on the beat 1 of m. 29 instead.

One other thought, the "small notes optional" text in m. 21+ implies that, well, the small notes are optional, but it doesn't make the distinction between the lower layer and the embellishments in the high (flute?) melody. I would think that the ones written as grace notes to the high melody should be required, but they aren't visually distinct from the lower layer as they're all small notes. Note a huge deal, but thought I'd mention.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on December 29, 2023, 02:38:54 PMTaking a peek!

- It sounds to me like the low percussive strikes on beat 1 and 5 of the intro (and most but not all other places on the first two pages) are low E's, rather than G. I noticed you have it as E in some places later on, but it sounds like most of these strikes are E to me? That'd also match what we have in this sheet https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/3532.
It's true that it's mostly more tuned towards En's, but I didn't think it really added to the harmony, so I treated it as unpitched percussion and decided to approach the more overarching harmony (more G major in m5 and more E minor in m9).

Quote from: Latios212 on December 29, 2023, 02:38:54 PM- The slur contour between m. 23-24 could be neater and less exaggerated.
- Lower tie should be flipped downwards entering m. 20.
Fixed these!

Quote from: Latios212 on December 29, 2023, 02:38:54 PM- I think it would make more sense to have measure 29 be the 7/4 measure instead of m. 28. The low drum and resolution of the melody to the E would fall on the beat 1 of m. 29 instead.
Yeah I could've gone either way tbh, having m29 as the 6/4 made sense so m29 and m30 had somewhat similar rhythmical accents (almost like the melody resolution is a 1/4 bar maybe), but I do feel the resolution more as a first beat too. Fixed that!

Quote from: Latios212 on December 29, 2023, 02:38:54 PMOne other thought, the "small notes optional" text in m. 21+ implies that, well, the small notes are optional, but it doesn't make the distinction between the lower layer and the embellishments in the high (flute?) melody. I would think that the ones written as grace notes to the high melody should be required, but they aren't visually distinct from the lower layer as they're all small notes. Note a huge deal, but thought I'd mention.
Yeah I realized that too, but since I use the shakuhachi embellishments and koto embellishments interchangeably, I found it to be an alright comprimise to not have to differentiate them visually. If the player feels a certain place sounds empty without the shakuhachi embellishment, they can always choose to play it and not most other ones.

Updated the files!

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on December 30, 2023, 09:38:25 AMIt's true that it's mostly more tuned towards En's, but I didn't think it really added to the harmony, so I treated it as unpitched percussion and decided to approach the more overarching harmony (more G major in m5 and more E minor in m9).
Okay! I'll leave that up to you then :)

Quote from: Bloop on December 30, 2023, 09:38:25 AMYeah I realized that too, but since I use the shakuhachi embellishments and koto embellishments interchangeably, I found it to be an alright comprimise to not have to differentiate them visually. If the player feels a certain place sounds empty without the shakuhachi embellishment, they can always choose to play it and not most other ones.
Yup, not a huge deal, just wanted to mention! It makes sense for the player to figure out what they want to include.

Last thing before I accept - there's a stray quarter rest at the 7/4 timesig as the previous measure is now overflowed :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta