News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[SNES] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - "Sara" by Libera

Started by Zeta, June 17, 2023, 02:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Sara
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

XiaoMigros

• I think the RH in m9 could use a mordent, to me it sounds as noticeable here as in m11
  • Perhaps the grace notes would be better written as 16ths?

Static

What sounds like mordents in m3 and 11 (and 9) is actually just an extra echo channel. (here's a version without the echo)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 18, 2023, 01:36:53 AMPerhaps the grace notes would be better written as 16ths?
Since they're not strictly 16th values I think grace notes are actually more appropriate in m7 and 15.

In m18, I'm not hearing the G being restruck on beat 3. It sounds like the Ab is an triplet 8th note.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Static on June 19, 2023, 11:40:02 AMSince they're not strictly 16th values I think grace notes are actually more appropriate in m7 and 15.
My only concern is that grace notes might be interpreted too shortly

Latios212

For what it's worth, I think I'd personally prefer seeing it as 16ths to be more explicit about the delay of the melody note. I guess it's alright to keep it as is - though don't appoggiatura usually not have the slashes when the main melody note is delayed? I forget since I don't normally distinguish them that way.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on June 21, 2023, 04:24:51 PMdon't appoggiatura usually not have the slashes when the main melody note is delayed?
I thought it was the opposite- slashes mean that the grace note(s) start on the beat and the note is delayed, no slashes mean the grace note precedes the beat and the main note is struck right on it

The Deku Trombonist

It's quite an in depth topic but the reader's digest version is:
Slash = acciaccatura (what is most commonly meant when people say grace note these days)
No slash = appoggiatura (or sometimes acciaccatura in older editions, depending on context)

Appoggiatura (when notated with a grace note) takes away from the following note.
Acciaccatura is crushed against the following note, either at the start of it (ie on the beat) or just before, depending on the performance practice of the period/style/composer.

Libera

Sorry for the wait.  Thanks for all the discussion.

Mordents:

That's interesting that they're not actually written in but are in the echo channel.  Still, I think they have that effect when you listen to it so I'd prefer to have them in.  I didn't feel like the one in 9 was as noticeable as the others, but I'm happy to add it.

Graces:

I think I'd prefer to leave them as graces since, as Static said, they're not quite sixteenths.  I think you always run into this problem that the performer might misinterpret things, but I don't think it's a big deal here.  Most people would have listened to the original playing these old sheets anyway.

Quote from: Static on June 19, 2023, 11:40:02 AMIn m18, I'm not hearing the G being restruck on beat 3. It sounds like the Ab is an triplet 8th note.

Yes I think you're right.  It's a lot clearer in the echo-less clip you posted.  Fixed.

Files updated, thanks everyone!

XiaoMigros

Latios212

Looks good to me! Nice to finally get a Thracia sheet on site!

You cannot view this attachment.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot