Series: Other
Game: Conker's Bad Fur Day
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Windy & Co.
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

Part of the replacement initiative!

Fear not, this track is not really 9 minutes long, it's "just" 3 minutes long. This is what happens in the OST version:
-The original theme plays from 0:00 to 3:04 in a hub world.
-From 3:04 to 5:32 a second version plays, that fades between the original and two different locations within the hub world. The different locations don't give any considerable new material, except for a new whistle solo at 4:52. I arranged this one on page 9 as a replacement for the trumpet solo in m117.
EDIT: I also added in a different version for B1, so there's an easier/standard version of this part where the L.H. keeps playing its usual ragtime shape and the R.H. is playing an easier melody. I based on the whistle version in 4:32 and added it on page 8.
-From 5:32 to the end, a third version plays in a separate location from the hub world. This does have a few different countermelodies, but the bulk of the material is still the same as the original. From 6:10 there's a new violin solo and from 7:50 there's a new banjo solo, which are both on the sheet on page 10 and 11 respectively.

I changed the name from the one on-site (which was "Windy Theme") to the one from here.

Maelstrom

Alright, here we go
-this might be my hearing because harmonicas are hard, but I think the shape of the notes ins completely differeint in m26. I hear b2 as lower than b1.5 and b2.5 as ~the same as b1.5
-m54 RH - those notes all sound the same length, could just notate them as 4 16ths I think. Same in m134
-I don't hear a restrike in RH m100 and similar
-What I'm hearing for m104 b1-2

-I like to imagine that a D.S. with no segno present means the performer has to jump to a segno in a different song
-m162 - RHB I don't hear restrikes on the whistling

I do agree that for simplicity and the sake of the performer's printer, leaving out the slight differences in countermelodies and such are fine. While up to you, the only bit I think still worth adding is the section B1' on the first repeat, but that's just the LH and RH switching  parts.

That's all I've got.

Bloop

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 02:07:55 PM-this might be my hearing because harmonicas are hard, but I think the shape of the notes ins completely differeint in m26. I hear b2 as lower than b1.5 and b2.5 as ~the same as b1.5
It's mostly just harmonicas being harmonicas, the loudest melody switches from the top notes in the first two 8ths to the bottom notes in the rest of the bar.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 02:07:55 PM-m54 RH - those notes all sound the same length, could just notate them as 4 16ths I think. Same in m134
I'm never really sure if I should write out straight 16ths in a gay swing 8th arrangement, but on very slow inspection it sounds like the first note is slightly longer too,

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 02:07:55 PM-What I'm hearing for m104 b1-2
I rechecked this place a few times, but I'm still pretty sure what I have is correct.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 02:07:55 PM-I like to imagine that a D.S. with no segno present means the performer has to jump to a segno in a different song
oop

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 02:07:55 PMI do agree that for simplicity and the sake of the performer's printer, leaving out the slight differences in countermelodies and such are fine. While up to you, the only bit I think still worth adding is the section B1' on the first repeat, but that's just the LH and RH switching  parts.
I eventually did decide to add it in, so there's an easier version of B1 (and by choice maybe B2) available too. I based this one on the whistle version in 4:32. This caused an extra page to appear, so I went all out utilizing that page and gave each solo it's own page.

Fixed the not-restrikes as well and updated the files!

Maelstrom

My only other comment is the grace note->slured pair of 8th notes looks really bad on the PDF. I'd recommend either moving the slurs or making it a single slur because that's really hard to read as is.
Otherwise it looks good

Bloop

Sebastian

Nice work. My comment would be this:
What do you think about pulling the lowest bass note in the LH up an octave? After playing through this song on the piano, I found that to be abundantly easier. Personally, my hand got tired much quicker jumping down to that lower note every time.

Or you could even do something simpler— put a note there indicating the option of bringing that lower note up an octave. Whatever works for you though! Just a suggestion.

Everything else looks good to me. It's a long song, so great job sticking it out!

Bloop

Quote from: Sebastian on September 21, 2022, 08:10:21 AMWhat do you think about pulling the lowest bass note in the LH up an octave? After playing through this song on the piano, I found that to be abundantly easier. Personally, my hand got tired much quicker jumping down to that lower note every time.
Good point yeah, I think it was something I was doubting to put it up an octave or not. I thought ragtime piano pieces usually had a low bass part, but I don't have any sources for that, so I just put it up an octave where needed. Updated the files!

Sebastian

Awesome!

One other quick thing...

In the PDF version of the arrangement, the del segno is colliding with the box in measure 5.

Bloop

Sebastian

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Sebastian.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot