Game: Gungrave
Console: PlayStation 2
Title: Here comes the rain
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Composer/title info here

Been awhile since I've done a full vocal sheet like this, so I went all out and added chords and pedal markings too

XiaoMigros

• What do you think about writing the B4s in m4&6 in a separate layer? I'm aware it wouldn't be playable to its full duration, but you have other notes sustained like this in a similar fashion so I don't see why an exception has to be made here.
  • m36: Maybe you could include the downwards run on the guitar?
  • m56-57: I think the lyrics should be "that guides" instead of "and guide"
  • The chord symbol in m64 seems a little high up.
  • m93, 97 & 101 b3 RH: Pretty sure the lead vocal line sings A here.

Static

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 07, 2022, 01:56:01 AMWhat do you think about writing the B4s in m4&6 in a separate layer? I'm aware it wouldn't be playable to its full duration, but you have other notes sustained like this in a similar fashion so I don't see why an exception has to be made here.
Since the pedal is used there, it would sound the same either way. I tried to combine things into a single layer as often as possible for ease of reading, with the exception being the vocal melody so it would be clear to the performer where exactly the melody is.

Everything else has been fixed, though I think the lyrics in m56 are "it guides." A few other small things (chords, pedal markings, etc.) were tweaked as well.

I also added an optional ending that was in the radio version (not included on the official soundtrack, but in the game) - link here.

Thanks for taking a look!

Libera

Sorry for the wait.  This was not what I was expecting to hear based on the name of the game and the thumbnail.

With the right hand, there are a few places where the melody gets obscured by the chords, around it and its not consistent even where the melody is in the chord (sometimes its at the top, sometimes the middle note, sometimes the bottom note) and I think this is a little confusing.  Personally I would advocate changing the voicings to make it easier for the listener to pick out the melody, but I feel like at least it should be distinguished in the notation so that the performer knows where it is.  Other things:

-When the chorus comes in (bars 9, 37, 61 etc.) the right hand actually ends up being pretty weak comparatively to other places in the piece, so these sections that sound big in the original come across a little underwhelming in the arrangement at the moment.  Maybe you could beef up those opening bars just a little somehow, even with just one extra note.
-In bar 31/33 etc. I don't hear this dip down to the D in melody (re; above, if that is what is being written in).  It sounds like another E on beat 4.
-I think the bass plays C->D at the end of bar 48.
-I hear the En in bar 52 as an Eb.
-Missing a little C->Bb at the end of bar 54 in the bass.
-The last G in bar 79 sounds like an En to me.
-I hear "o hear it comes again" in bar 99, so an extra B on beat 1.5.
-The harmony sounds a little different in bar 100 compared to all the other instances, with a C# on top of the A (moving to a D on beat 1 of bar 101).

The other thing that I noticed is that it seems a bit inconsistent whether the left hand is mimicking the percussion or not (e.g. bars 8-24).  Is there some internal rationale behind this?

Nice sheet anyway.

Static

Quote from: Libera on July 02, 2022, 02:02:15 PMWith the right hand, there are a few places where the melody gets obscured by the chords, around it and its not consistent even where the melody is in the chord (sometimes its at the top, sometimes the middle note, sometimes the bottom note) and I think this is a little confusing.  Personally I would advocate changing the voicings to make it easier for the listener to pick out the melody, but I feel like at least it should be distinguished in the notation so that the performer knows where it is.
In the original vocals, the melody is also not consistently in the same voice, and I kept that in the sheet. The vocals have their own dedicated layer, so when things are harmonized (like m13-14), that's clear to the reader. It's not a melody with chords underneath/below, it's the melody harmonized in 3 voices. I did change m18 and similar places since the lower part is not in the vocals. I think adding additional layers elsewhere is unnecessary, and I'd rather keep the vocals harmonized as they were in the original while adjusting accompaniment parts instead, which is what I did. Imo it sounds weirder with the melodic voice on top, but maybe that's just me.

Quote from: Libera on July 02, 2022, 02:02:15 PM-In bar 31/33 etc. I don't hear this dip down to the D in melody (re; above, if that is what is being written in).  It sounds like another E on beat 4.
I still hear a D pretty clearly in m31/33, not in 86/88 though.

Quote from: Libera on July 02, 2022, 02:02:15 PMThe other thing that I noticed is that it seems a bit inconsistent whether the left hand is mimicking the percussion or not (e.g. bars 8-24).  Is there some internal rationale behind this?
My answer is basically "kind of" - I went with what I thought sounded good when playing on piano. In the end, I think I prefer this more varied style of accompaniment since it's more fun to play but still keeps the overall rhythms in tact.
I wanted m8 and 79 to be less intense than other drum fills, though I did change the LH to quarter notes to m8 which I think works better than just a whole note.
Everywhere else, the drums were mimicked when there was space for it. Places like m13-14 or 17-18 have less drum stuff because of the low RH, but I still tried to keep the rhythms in there. As for places like m15-16, I just thought it sounded cool to highlight the guitar arpeggios there. Hopefully that all makes sense. This is a lot less structured than many of my other arrangements but I think the variety in accompaniment works well and it still keeps the original rhythms in tact. It's also more fun to play.

Quote from: Libera on July 02, 2022, 02:02:15 PM-When the chorus comes in (bars 9, 37, 61 etc.) the right hand actually ends up being pretty weak comparatively to other places in the piece, so these sections that sound big in the original come across a little underwhelming in the arrangement at the moment.  Maybe you could beef up those opening bars just a little somehow, even with just one extra note.
-I think the bass plays C->D at the end of bar 48.
-I hear the En in bar 52 as an Eb.
-Missing a little C->Bb at the end of bar 54 in the bass.
-The last G in bar 79 sounds like an En to me.
-I hear "o hear it comes again" in bar 99, so an extra B on beat 1.5.
-The harmony sounds a little different in bar 100 compared to all the other instances, with a C# on top of the A (moving to a D on beat 1 of bar 101).
Added/fixed these

Thanks for taking a look!

Libera

Quote from: Libera on July 02, 2022, 02:02:15 PM-When the chorus comes in (bars 9, 37, 61 etc.) the right hand actually ends up being pretty weak comparatively to other places in the piece, so these sections that sound big in the original come across a little underwhelming in the arrangement at the moment.  Maybe you could beef up those opening bars just a little somehow, even with just one extra note.

What did you actually change here?  I guess I was thinking an extra note in the right hand.

Everything else seems fine, though I'm still not sure I really understand the reasoning behind all of the left hand choices (like in 69-79), but 8 is certainly better now.  I feel like 69-79 could have more stuff from the percussion (e.g. beat 2 in bars 75-77) with it still contrasting with the rest of the arrangement.

Static

Quote from: Libera on July 16, 2022, 10:15:12 AMWhat did you actually change here?  I guess I was thinking an extra note in the right hand.
Oh, I thought you said LH. I added a low E at the start of the riff. For the RH, I think just adding accents to certain notes would help more than extra notes, so that's what I did.

Quote from: Libera on July 16, 2022, 10:15:12 AMEverything else seems fine, though I'm still not sure I really understand the reasoning behind all of the left hand choices (like in 69-79), but 8 is certainly better now.  I feel like 69-79 could have more stuff from the percussion (e.g. beat 2 in bars 75-77) with it still contrasting with the rest of the arrangement.
Sounds good

Made a few other small adjustments as well

Libera

Yeah 69-79 looks a lot better now, cool.

Everything else looks good so I'll approve!

Bloop

-m11 (and similar): It might sound better to not restrike the B on beat 1, so the B from beat 4.5 in the measure before can ring out more neatly. It'll still flow nicely to the C# and D following this chord.
-You might wanna add some pedal marks to places where the bass gets a bit busy, as holding all these notes might start to sound muddy (like m12 with the B, C and C#, m23 with the D, E, G and A)
-m36: Another good place to have a pedal lift, since I don't think you need anything held from m35 right?
-m44: Technically the Bb chord in beat 3 has "ooh" as lyrics, maybe you could add that or just remove the line from "rain"?
-m75 and 77: Pedal lines are touching the beam here in beat 4-4.5
-m98 and 102: The top backing vocal goes to "rain" at beat 4.5 already, up to you if you wanna include that exception :p

Looks good otherwise!

Static

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 03:39:49 AM-m44: Technically the Bb chord in beat 3 has "ooh" as lyrics, maybe you could add that or just remove the line from "rain"?
I just removed the line there, since that additional line carries over to m45 where I dropped that voice. There are a few other oohs I left out too like in m47-48, but I wanted to keep things focused on just the main lyrics.

Everything else should be fixed!

Bloop

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 03:39:49 AM-m98 and 102: The top backing vocal goes to "rain" at beat 4.5 already, up to you if you wanna include that exception :p
For this I meant that I only heard the top D go to "rain" in beat 4.5, the G and B should then be on beat 1 of the next bar. Either way, the lyric of "rain" should be moved to beat 4.5 too then.

Everything else looks good though!

Static

Quote from: Bloop on July 27, 2022, 02:34:40 AMFor this I meant that I only heard the top D go to "rain" in beat 4.5, the G and B should then be on beat 1 of the next bar. Either way, the lyric of "rain" should be moved to beat 4.5 too then.
Ah I see what you mean. Should be fixed now

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot