[3DS] Bravely Default - "Serpent Devouring the Horizon" by Maelstrom & Latios212

Started by Zeta, January 30, 2022, 02:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on March 19, 2022, 09:35:02 PMWhat's different about 58 the second time?
Quote from: Libera on March 20, 2022, 09:39:21 AMIt has triplets in the second half of the bar.  Adding it in is going to be a pain due to the repeats already being confusing enough as it is.  Maybe one option is to write those triplets in as an extra staff with a note, but also you may have a better idea.
That would be a pain... although I still hear the parts I wrote in the same way actually (at 2:56). I think the guitars do the same thing as before and only the drums play triplets there. Not to ignore the difference, but I think it may just be best to just leave it as is.

Quote from: Libera on March 20, 2022, 09:39:21 AMI don't really know what happens in the game as I never got this far, but I think adding a note might be helpful.  Nested repeats sounds even more confusing without explicitly saying which bar to go to at each point, and those bits out again fully sounds like its going to get really long...
Yeah for sure. I've added a final barline and performance note at the end of m. 58. Lemme know if that seems workable or if another way of presenting it might be clearer.

Quote from: Libera on March 20, 2022, 09:39:21 AMAlthough an additional thing that I noticed but forgot to write down is that maybe in bars 115-116 you might consider dropping the lowest notes in those chords.  The effect will still come across pretty much the same but it would be a lot easier to play.  An idea anyway.
That makes sense. Though I think I'd prefer to just leave it up to the performer if they want to leave out some pitches here.

Thank you again, files updated with the second comment above :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on March 29, 2022, 08:06:01 PMThat would be a pain... although I still hear the parts I wrote in the same way actually (at 2:56). I think the guitars do the same thing as before and only the drums play triplets there. Not to ignore the difference, but I think it may just be best to just leave it as is.

I'm pretty sure the guitars also play triplets the second time.  I know that it's a bit annoying but it seems a shame to leave out the difference which was obviously intended.

Otherwise this looks ready to go now.

Latios212

Ah I think I hear it now, on beats 3 and 4 only.

This somewhat throws a wrench in the repeat structure so I've modified it a bit so make m. 58 a first/second ending. After a bit of discussion over Discord, in place of the D.S. I've put a note to go to measure 5. Hopefully this makes the repeat structure clearer.

Files are updated!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

That looks awesome!  Thank you for taking the time to do that, as painful as it might have been.

I guess I'll be accepting now.  It only took (checks notes) eight years?  And this is the fifth time it's been submitted?

Zeta