News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - "Luigi Circuit/Mario Circuit" by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, February 16, 2022, 09:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart Wii
Console: Wii
Title: Luigi Circuit/Mario Circuit
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Helped XiaoMigros with conversion on this one~ (only fixed up the visuals, haven't checked the arrangement yet)

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

yeaaaaaahhhhh boiiiii

Super glad to see this sheet, excellent work on it!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Overall, a fine arrangement, but watch out for rhythmic and harmonic accuracy here. It's a short, but deceptively tricky tune to arrange. There are always several different synth and organ voices playing, so you have to be careful discerning between them.
  • The track title should be "Luigi Circuit/Mario Circuit", without the spaces around the /. Ryo Nagamatsu should be added as a composer (title/composer info from here).
  • You're missing some kind of note to play LH an octave lower.
  • m1-2 RH should be an octave lower.
  • m1 RH beat 2: There's not really a rest in between these notes, so I'd just write the first one as a dotted 8th.
  • m1 RH beat 4: The first two 16th notes should be Bb-Eb.
  • m2 beat 3-4: I'd recommend writing the A chord here as an 8th tied to a quarter, since I think it's easier to read, but also because it matches the other times that rhythm is used (m6/14).
  • m7 RH beat 1: Courtesy sharp would be nice here.
  • m9 RH beats 3-4: These chords are a lot crunchier in the original. The first two are B-E-Fn, third is D-E-G. The progression here is G13 to A7sus4.
  • m11-18 RH: Not every note here has harmony underneath, and some of the harmonies you have are incorrect. Here's what I'm getting:
    • m11 beat 2 is F#-Cn, 2.5 is just A, 4.5 is A-E.
    • m12 beat 1 is D-Fn, 1.5 is Cn-En, 2.5 is just B.
    • m13 beat 2 is F#-Cn, 4.5 is A-E (beat 2.5 does have an E unlike m11).
    • m14 beat 1 is D-Fn, 1.5 is Cn-E, 2 is A-D, 2.5-2.75 is Fn to A (no harmony), 3-4 are harmonized in thirds. In addition, the 8th notes on beat 4-4.5 should be staccato.
    • m16 beats 2-3 are harmonized in 6ths, beat 4 has no harmony.
    • m17 beat 1 is D-F#, 1.75 is A-D; beat 1.75 should not be tied, it's played short; beats 3-4 should be an octave lower and they should be the same chords as m9 RH beats 3-4.
    • m18 should have a similar contour to m10, and it's harmonized in 4ths.
    • There are some additional notes from the organ part that I'd recommend adding too, since it helps give this section a more full sound. I'm only including notes that aren't doubling other synth melody/harmony notes, and line up with the melody's rhythm (so no 2nd Layer stuff):
      • m11 beat 2: D
      • m12 beat 2.75: B and E
      • m15 beat 2: E; beats 3-4: D to E to B
      • m16 beat 3, 3.75: D
  • m19-34 RH: Since all previous 8th notes were played staccato, and this section introduces some longer ones, I'd recommend adding slurs/tenuto markings where appropriate. It never hurts to be clear with articulation when you want something performed right without having to refer to the original recording.
  • m19 RH beats 3-4: The rhythm is incorrect; it should be offbeat 16ths.
  • m20 RH beat 1.75 is short and shouldn't be tied, and the quarter note on beat 3.5 is actually two staccato 8th notes.
  • m21 RH: The rhythm you have here is also incorrect; the Fn-E slur is repeated another time, and the melody moves up in 16th notes on beat 4.5.
  • m21 RH: I'd recommend using A as the lowest note in the chords, since the underlying chord here is Bbmaj7, not just Bb. The 16th notes on beat 4.5 also have harmony underneath (E to F#).
  • m22 RH: Beat 1/2 should be 8th rests, while beat 1.5 is A and beat 2.5 is F#-D (the top D is one octave lower than what you had before). The pickup into m23 is just E-F#.
  • m23 RH beats 3-4: Rhythm should be the same as m19.
  • m24 RH: Beats 2-2.5 should be staccato, and beat 3.75 should be short.
  • m24 RH Layer 2: Beat 4 should be F#, not Fn.
  • m26 RH beat 1.25 should be Bb, beat 1.5 is a Db-Eb dyad, beat 2 is Db-F, 2.5 is Eb-G, 2.75 is En-A.
  • m27-34 RH is missing harmonies throughout (or has incorrect harmonies), and all the 8th notes on beat 3.25 are short and should be 16ths.
  • m27/29 RH beat 4.5 should be tied over to the next measure.
  • m29/31 RH beat 1 should be long, not staccato.
  • m32 RH beat 2: The D is not rearticulated here, instead the D on beat 1 is held through.
  • m33 RH beat 2 should just be two 8th notes.
  • m34 RH beat 1 should be longer.
  • m35 beat 2 should have a staccato quarter note D. Beat 4.5 should only have E.
  • m36 beat 2.25 should only have D, and beat 4.5 should be C# instead of Cn and not have an A underneath.
  • m37 beat 1.5 should only have D, beat 4.5 should only have E.
  • m38 beat 2.25 should only have D, beat 3 should be long, and beat 4 should only have C# (not Cn).
  • Bassline stuff:
    • One thing you might wanna consider here is taking most of the bassline up an octave. Even though it's very low in the original track, a synth bass has a very different timbre than the extreme low end of a piano. On piano, this bassline sounds very percussive and the pitch is often unclear, particularly in m19-onward. I'm leaving it as-is for this revision, but perhaps someone else can weigh in here.
    • I also noticed you moved around some of the octave placements in order to keep everything playable, which sounds good as you have it. There are some specific spots that I think should be adjusted though, which I'll mention below.
    • m3-18: Any time there's a bass note on beat 1, it should be a long quarter note.
    • m4, 6, 10, 12, 14 18 beat 2 & m8, 16 beat 3: These staccato 8ths should all be dotted 8ths.
    • m7, 15 beat 3.5 should be a quarter note.
    • m10, 12, 18 beat 2.75 should be tied to an 8th note on beat 3.
    • m13: This should look exactly like m4.
    • m16: This should look exactly like m8.
    • m19 beats 1-2: The note lengths are the opposite of what you have: long-short-long.
    • m21 beat 2 should be a dotted 8th.
    • m20, 22, 24 beat 2.75 should be tied (also a courtesy natural would be nice here).
    • m25 beat 2.75 should be Bn (it sounds like it starts on Bn and bends down to Bb). Beat 3 should be a quarter note.
    • m27-38: All of the 8th notes here should be staccato.
    • m28, 31, 32, 33, 34 beat 1: Should be long.
    • m28 beat 2.75: Should be tied to beat 3.
    • m30 beats 1-2: Should be long.
    • m30 beat 4.5: Missing a G here.
    • m31, 32, 33 beat 3.5: The octaves for the As are swapped here; m31/33 goes up to the higher A while m32 goes down.
    • m32 beat 4 should be a 16th-16th-8th rhythm (D-A-D).
    • m34 beats 1-2: It should be Bb-Cn-D instead of Cn-C#-D. Beat 3 is just a single note (D) on beat 3.75.
    • m36 beat 1: The first note starts a bit early, on beat 1.25.
    • m38 beat 3 should be long.
  • I'd recommend adding some dynamics. The opening is f for sure, but then it settles down a bit at m3 (I'd mark this mf). Then m17 could be mp and crescendo into m27, which could be f (this is the climax of the piece, functions almost like a chorus section), and finally mp at m35.
  • I think this looks better with a 4-5-4 system distribution, instead of 5-5-3. I changed it, but if anyone disagrees feel free to change it back.

As requested, the changes have all been made and the new files have been uploaded. I approve.

Some of the changes (particularly with regards to articulations and dynamics) are more subjective, so if you disagree with something let me know.

Bloop

-I opted to actually remove the 8vb markings altogether, as I find the low D's and even more so the low A-Bb-B range too muddy for basslines in piano arrangements. Moving the bass up an octave fills up some empty frequency space in as well. I kept m1-2 L.H. as it was, but notated in its original octave. There are a few spots where the original goes down an octave, so I included those octave jumps (for example, the G's and A's in m6, the B's in m7 and the last A in m8), but I kept others as is, so the jump wouldn't be too big (for example the G's in m4 being a 12th away from the D before)
-m6: I hear D on beat 2 instead of Fn in the R.H.
-m11: I hear a B on beat 4.5 in the R.H. instead of an A.
-m34: Deleted the G on beat 2.25 in the R.H., as it's not restruck in the original and is quite uncomfortable to play at this speed.
-m35 and 37: Added a C# in the R.H. on beat 4.5
-m36: F# in the L.H. on beat 2 should be on beat 1.75
-m38: Added an A in the R.H. on beat 4.

Made those changes and uploaded the files, and asked Static to recheck my edits as well ^^

Static

Looks good to me, I'm hearing all the changes you wrote. Bass also sounds good

Bloop

I edited one 8th+16th rest to a dotted 8th rest as well (in m34 L.H.), re-uploaded files and accepted!
You cannot view this attachment.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot