[DELETED] [NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness -

Started by Zeta, July 18, 2018, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Quicksand Pit
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PlayfulPiano

PlayfulPiano

Decided against posting my Quiet & Falling arrangement, because it's pretty long and I rather submit some shorter ones now.

Oh boy, this piece. Really underappreciated IMO from the PMD2 OST, and I wanted to give it a little light. Layering towards the end might be a little messy, but I wanted to add in parts of the kalimba and strings throughout the end to solidify the rise in the music.

I'll probably submit Quiet & Falling for the next update.

-PlayfulPiano

PlayfulPiano

Updated with dotted eighth notes corrections, excluding m16 (that probably needs an overall rework). Also removed four measures via a repeat so now it can be on two pages instead of three.

InsigTurtle

Just a couple of comments from a quick glance at it:
- m.11 you should break the beam on top in between the 16th triplet and the two 16th notes, leaving the bottom one
- m.12 measure number clashes with page number on pdf
- m.22 no need to switch to 4 sharps here (especially if it's only for one measure). Leave it in the original key, use a trill with a sharp on top
- m.20 your spelling here is kinda iffy, you should try spelling everything here in just flats
- m.22 would benefit from having a B in the bass like in the original, then you get a stronger dominant relationship with the repeat
- m.19 I wouldn't quite notate that with a grace note (comparing the speed of it to other places where you used a grace note). I believe your grace notes are supposed to have strokes, as well (to avoid confusing them with an appoggiatura) but I'll need someone else to double check that
- m.16 rhythm, seems like a place you forgot to fix
- m.2 and similar sections could use some dynamic indications. Currently implies it's all at the same volume, which isn't the case

Haven't yet notechecked, but it seems pretty accurate from what I've read

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 23, 2018, 10:24:19 PMJust a couple of comments from a quick glance at it:
- m.11 you should break the beam on top in between the 16th triplet and the two 16th notes, leaving the bottom one
- m.12 measure number clashes with page number on pdf
- m.22 no need to switch to 4 sharps here (especially if it's only for one measure). Leave it in the original key, use a trill with a sharp on top
- m.20 your spelling here is kinda iffy, you should try spelling everything here in just flats
- m.22 would benefit from having a B in the bass like in the original, then you get a stronger dominant relationship with the repeat
- m.19 I wouldn't quite notate that with a grace note (comparing the speed of it to other places where you used a grace note). I believe your grace notes are supposed to have strokes, as well (to avoid confusing them with an appoggiatura) but I'll need someone else to double check that
- m.16 rhythm, seems like a place you forgot to fix
- m.2 and similar sections could use some dynamic indications. Currently implies it's all at the same volume, which isn't the case

Haven't yet notechecked, but it seems pretty accurate from what I've read
Fixed m11.
Don't know how to fix m12, that'll probably be done in the eventual higher version edit.
Can't do that with Finale Allegro 2007 in m22, it's a placeholder for the higher version edit where that is a possibility.
For m20, would making it flats going down and sharps going up be valid, or just keep it uniform?
You mean a lower octave b? I'll add that in for m22.
For m19, yeah, that was not a grace earlier but a triplet between a sixteenth and an eighth, which had the correct timing. Discord mentioned to change it to a grace note, but the timing did seem off. If I make it a triplet again, it would fix the timing. Would you want to do that?
Yeah, was worried about the layering when fixing the rhythm, but I did it a little later. Will update everything here regarding it.
Which dynamics do you suggest?

I grabbed most of these notes from the midi, so it should be as accurate as the midi is.

PlayfulPiano

Maelstrom

LH
Consider notating the LH like this:

I was going to go more deep into the song but there was one pervasive problem throughout this entire arrangement. It's actually obvious that you used the midi to arrange this. You included a lot of layers that don't fit very well and instruments that aren't obvious and stitched them all together in an incohesive way. This makes it technically correct, but not a very nice piano piece to play nor does it give the feel of the original. I'd recommend a heavy revision going only from the mp3 and tossing the midi out the window. That shouldn't ever be your primary source of notes.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 05, 2018, 01:45:46 PMLH
Consider notating the LH like this:

I was going to go more deep into the song but there was one pervasive problem throughout this entire arrangement. It's actually obvious that you used the midi to arrange this. You included a lot of layers that don't fit very well and instruments that aren't obvious and stitched them all together in an incohesive way. This makes it technically correct, but not a very nice piano piece to play nor does it give the feel of the original. I'd recommend a heavy revision going only from the mp3 and tossing the midi out the window. That shouldn't ever be your primary source of notes.
I used a midi in the first place because of how complex this piece is, not to mention that the midi generally helps with pitch accuracy and general tempo mechanics. I was able to do other themes because they were either straightforward and not overly complex, or there were some guidelines put in place as a precedent that I could follow. With a piece like this, I don't have the skill required to just listen to the mp3 and write it out. I need guidance.

PlayfulPiano