[N64] Star Fox 64 - "Start Demos 2 - 6 (Stage Introductions)" by Fernman

Started by Zeta, March 18, 2024, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernman

Ok the portatos are implemented.

I put in the Eb and Ab and removed the C in the LH,

Kricketune54

Made some additional updates with Fernman for the spacing of the different measure systems, but this is now approved.

Bloop

In collections of tracks, usually measure numbers should reset with each track. This is probably something you'd need full finale for to fix. I'll use the normal measure numbers for now though!

Start Demo 3:
-m9: If you want, you could change the R.H. D to a whole note in another layer, so it gets held for the whole bar. Same in Start Demo 4 m17

Throughout Start Demo 3, 4 and 5, you use portato marks (tenuto + staccato) and staccato marks, but I don't really hear a clear difference between them in the original. The notes in the original are played very short, with only some reverb ringing on. I think you could keep all of those too staccato, for less visual clutter.

Start Demo 5:
-At the end of m31 there are a courtesy clef and key signature, which shouldn't be there around ending bars. I assume that's something I should help with with full finale tho

Start Demo 6:
-Actually, about the key signature, I don't think you really need one here? The loop is more centered around G, but the Bb at the key signature is really just there for the Bb in m33, while it needs to be cancelled again in m34. Probably best to just see this as atonal and leave out the key signature.
-Does this demo repeat indefinitely in-game? If not, it's probably best to define how much the first two bars need to be repeated.
-m34: I can't really hear the Db and F in the L.H., just a G and Bn from the horns. You can't really play those in the L.H. though, so maybe you could just leave it at a G, possibly with another G an octave below for more power?

Fernman

Quote from: Bloop on July 04, 2024, 11:28:00 AMStart Demo 3: -m9: If you want, you could change the R.H. D to a whole note in another layer, so it gets held for the whole bar. Same in Start Demo 4 m17

I'm good with that.

Quote from: Bloop on July 04, 2024, 11:28:00 AMThroughout Start Demo 3, 4 and 5, you use portato marks (tenuto + staccato) and staccato marks, but I don't really hear a clear difference between them in the original. The notes in the original are played very short, with only some reverb ringing on. I think you could keep all of those too staccato, for less visual clutter.

Listening to it again yea I see your point, I guess I was looking for the shortness based on the earlier suggestion.

Regarding the portado / stacatto, I looked up a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZI214aU4M) that discussed the difference between the two when I made the original change, and it does seem more held, than strictly short like stacatto so it can sound portato. but I guess it depends how you interpret playing the stacatto? If I were to play it, it would be based on memory of how it sounds, not sure about someone new to the song.
You say the stacatto would be better for less visual clutter, so given the above not sure what you overall thought is between the two.
Also what is your take on having these be 8th note stacattos vs the quarter note stacattos I had originally?

Depending on what change I decide Is there a way in Notepad that I can mass select the articulations and delete them? Those are a lot to fix individually.

Quote from: Bloop on July 04, 2024, 11:28:00 AMStart Demo 6: -Actually, about the key signature, I don't think you really need one here?

Good point, that isn't needed at all. I would change it, but Notepad changes EVERYTHING.

Quote from: Bloop on July 04, 2024, 11:28:00 AM-Does this demo repeat indefinitely in-game? If not, it's probably best to define how much the first two bars need to be repeated.

Technically this loops for as long as it takes you to get to the tunnel heading toward the final boss depending on where you shot down the last foe. It may not repeat or it may play 3 times as I've seen in some online gameplay.

Quote from: Bloop on July 04, 2024, 11:28:00 AM-m34: I can't really hear the Db and F in the L.H., just a G and Bn from the horns. You can't really play those in the L.H. though, so maybe you could just leave it at a G, possibly with another G an octave below for more power?

I'm good with that, would adding in a 5th help make it more balanced?

Bloop

Quote from: Fernman on July 04, 2024, 01:58:05 PMI'm good with that.
In that case I'd suggest removing the D from the quarter note and just having the whole note, as it's not like it's part of two different voices.

Quote from: Fernman on July 04, 2024, 01:58:05 PMListening to it again yea I see your point, I guess I was looking for the shortness based on the earlier suggestion.

Regarding the portado / stacatto, I looked up a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZI214aU4M) that discussed the difference between the two when I made the original change, and it does seem more held, than strictly short like stacatto so it can sound portato. but I guess it depends how you interpret playing the stacatto? If I were to play it, it would be based on memory of how it sounds, not sure about someone new to the song.
You say the stacatto would be better for less visual clutter, so given the above not sure what you overall thought is between the two.
Also what is your take on having these be 8th note stacattos vs the quarter note stacattos I had originally?
This is how I'd interpret the different markings:
-Quarter notes with portato: kinda like playing 8th notes and 8th rests, or notes at half length. Disconnected, but with weight
-Quarter notes with staccato: Shorter than portato, but still lightly (I leave my fingers on the keys when depressing)
-8th notes with staccato: Similarly short as quarter notes with staccato, but a bit more direct or spikier (I take my fingers off of the keys, more like jumping/bouncing)
So staccato has the same length, but different note lengths make me interpret it differently. In this case, the staccato chords sound more direct/spiky in the original, especially because of the short stabs in the trumpets, so I'd have gone with 8th notes with normal staccato.
As for 8th notes with portato, I wouldn't really know what to do with them in this context, as playing them shorter will sound similar to just playing staccato in length.

Quote from: Fernman on July 04, 2024, 01:58:05 PMDepending on what change I decide Is there a way in Notepad that I can mass select the articulations and delete them? Those are a lot to fix individually.
I think you can only select all visible on screen with ctrl+A, so if you zoom in to like 200%, you can mass select sections of them like that.

Quote from: Fernman on July 04, 2024, 01:58:05 PMGood point, that isn't needed at all. I would change it, but Notepad changes EVERYTHING.
Alright, I'll do that in the final formatting then.

Quote from: Fernman on July 04, 2024, 01:58:05 PMTechnically this loops for as long as it takes you to get to the tunnel heading toward the final boss depending on where you shot down the last foe. It may not repeat or it may play 3 times as I've seen in some online gameplay.
Alright, then that's good ^^

Quote from: Fernman on July 04, 2024, 01:58:05 PMI'm good with that, would adding in a 5th help make it more balanced?
I personally wouldn't use the 5th in this case, as I find it a bit rumbly in that low register. If you want the rumble then it's ok, but I don't find the low notes in the original that rumbly
Btw I think I actually do hear where the Db and F come from now (idk why I didn't hear them earlier), but they seem less present in the original than in a piano chord, so I'd probably still go for the G octave in that case.

Fernman

Bloop

Alright, I've edited the files, if everything's alright to you, I'll accept!

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot