Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: StreetPass Mii Plaza
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Palace Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

cashwarrior1

For the most part, there's three distinct melodic lines (then the harpsichord), so I arranged it like a three part invention

goldenscruff

Any thoughts on including a detached or staccatos in the L.H.? I think it could use some.

I'm hearing the cello m2 b4 to m4 b2 and octave lower than in the sheet. Is there a reason why this isn't down the octave?

cashwarrior1

Quote from: goldenscruff on June 06, 2024, 05:57:23 AMAny thoughts on including a detached or staccatos in the L.H.? I think it could use some.
Since its written in the Baroque style, all non-slurred notes are played detached (I put hidden staccatos on all of them). I'll put an expressive text for clarification.

Quote from: goldenscruff on June 06, 2024, 05:57:23 AMI'm hearing the cello m2 b4 to m4 b2 and octave lower than in the sheet. Is there a reason why this isn't down the octave?
You wouldn't be able to play the middle voice

Updated.

goldenscruff

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 06, 2024, 09:43:43 AMYou wouldn't be able to play the middle voice
I was thinking something like this
Spoiler
[close]

cashwarrior1

I find it falls better on the hands with the lh up the octave. There's less jumping and less need for large intervals. It also has the call and response going between hands and then it comes together in one hand in measure 7, which I find really satisfying (and more musically inclined, probably)

Latios212

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 06, 2024, 09:43:43 AMSince its written in the Baroque style, all non-slurred notes are played detached (I put hidden staccatos on all of them). I'll put an expressive text for clarification.
Could just be me not being very familiar with the Baroque style, but I think the placement of the "detached" text directly underneath the slur seems confusing. Think there might be any better way to convey this? At the very least, it'd be better moved down and not so close to the slur.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 06, 2024, 03:50:43 PMI find it falls better on the hands with the lh up the octave. There's less jumping and less need for large intervals. It also has the call and response going between hands and then it comes together in one hand in measure 7, which I find really satisfying (and more musically inclined, probably)
For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree with goldenscruff since it feels like the lowest voice drops out suddenly. I'll leave it up to you though!

Looks good other than that; though it sounds to me like the middle voice does play a few more notes in places you have it empty:
- In m. 2/6 beat 1-2 I hear the third voice playing C and G (underneath the RH notes)
- In the last measure beat 4 I hear a D under the melody
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on June 18, 2024, 03:12:03 PMCould just be me not being very familiar with the Baroque style, but I think the placement of the "detached" text directly underneath the slur seems confusing. Think there might be any better way to convey this? At the very least, it'd be better moved down and not so close to the slur.
Pretty sure most Baroque music doesn't say to play notes short, and is just assumed you know that's the style. It might be more accurate to put "Portato" in the tempo marking, but anything that gets it across to the player is fine.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 18, 2024, 03:12:03 PMFor what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree with goldenscruff since it feels like the lowest voice drops out suddenly. I'll leave it up to you though!
It doesn't feel that out of place to me (especially since bass notes are often kinda high in the baroque music I've played) and I think I prefer it this way.

Updated.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on June 18, 2024, 03:12:03 PMCould just be me not being very familiar with the Baroque style, but I think the placement of the "detached" text directly underneath the slur seems confusing. Think there might be any better way to convey this? At the very least, it'd be better moved down and not so close to the slur.
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 21, 2024, 10:41:48 AMPretty sure most Baroque music doesn't say to play notes short, and is just assumed you know that's the style. It might be more accurate to put "Portato" in the tempo marking, but anything that gets it across to the player is fine.
I think that would be better. As I mentioned above, the placement of the "detached" text is so close to the slur that it seems to imply it specifically applies to the slurred notes.

edit: also looks like your PDF is still the old version
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Oops, I literally forgot to export the other versions lmao.

Updated (with the portato tempo marking).