[NES] DuckTales - "Himalayas" (Replacement) by Fullmetalgrudo

Started by Zeta, September 18, 2023, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullmetalgrudo

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 21, 2023, 08:28:11 PMThe repeat and added slurs look good in your screenshot.
As for the files, if it's going to be a challenge, I don't mind if you forgo having to update them; I can make the necessary update if you at least link the XML file that you can export from MuseScore, and your MuseScore file.

Let me know if that sounds too tedious, but it worked well in the below submission's case. Feel free to link the files through Dropbox or Google Drive. The reason I ask for those files is while your screenshots are helpful, I do like to be able to hear the playback of how the sheet sounds, and to be able to fully see how the sheet looks in either Finale or MuseScore. At minimum, I would request your latest MuseScore file for each update you make.

https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=12700.0

It's fine for me! If there is nothing to modify but things like margins, fonts and things like that and nothing related to the music itself, I can send you all the files (xml, mscz, mp3, pdf) with Google Drive. :)

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UIxcKZoVs-gEiqzMxiVz6UK3SA614dXg?usp=share_link

Thank you for you help!

Kricketune54

Really sorry for the wait on my reply, typed something up back in October and just realized never posted it.

Following notes are short enough length that they could also have staccatos:
• m1 LH beat 3.0
• m3 LH beat 1 and 1.5
• m4 LH 3.25
• m10 LH all 8th note length notes, I would remove tie between beat 3.75 and 4.0, and make 4.0 an 8th rest. Sounds much shorter.
• m11 once again, all LH 8th note length notes, but I also want to include an image because I disagree with current groupings:
Spoiler
[close]
I'm hearing m14-16 the same way as far as staccatos and rhythm placement, so make the same edits for them as well.
• m12 LH all 8th note length notes, and entire beat 2 should be same length as how m10's beat 2 is.  Also, I think the tie between beat 3.75 and beat 4.0 makes the note too long, maybe make beat 4.0 a 16th note, followed by a 16th rest?
• m17 first 2 8th notes sound like they could use staccatos, and beat 2.25 and 3.25 (dotted 8th's) sound short enough to write as 16th notes, followed by 8th rests for rest of the beats.

Additional feedback
• m5 beat 4.0 16th rest should be normal height.
• m6 RH as opposed to writing a staccato dotted 8th (which is not a common way of writing, you could make it a staccato 8th, followed by a 16th rest.
• m8 LH 4.5 should be an En
• m15 and m17 hearing the triplets a little differently (still An in m15 and C# in m17 tho), both this same way (current m15 pictured with what I hear for beat 2 RH). I'm hearing a middle note that goes up an octave and then returns to the original pitch for a 3rd 8th triplet note.
Spoiler
[close]

Fullmetalgrudo

Thank you for your answer!

Based on your comments and after checking the .nsf file, these are the modifications I've made (they are in blue in the screenshot below):

Staccatos added on LH:
- m1 beat 3.0
- m3 beat 1 and 1.5
- m4 3.25
- m10 all 8th (+ tie removed between beat 3.75 and 4.0) EDIT: maybe I should do it on RH too, I'll have to check that later!
- m11 all 8th (+ tie removed between beat 2.75 and 3.0), and m14 to m16 modified the same way! But I can't group notes on beat 2 (underlined in red in the screenshot)... I let you do it if you don't mind.
- m12 all 8th (+ beat 2 shortened and tie between beat 3.75 and beat 4.0 removed), same thing as m10 actually!
- m17 first two 8th (+ notes on beat 2.25 and 3.25 shortened)

Additionnal feedback:
- You mean in the LH? I've checked, the A# lasts an 8th, so there is a 16th rest next to it!
- m6 RH beat 2, dot and staccato removed (and maybe you can group notes like m11)
- m8 LH beat 4.5, tbh I know there is an En but my guess was that this En was a mistake just forgotten by the composer because it's kind of wierd! ^^' But maybe it's not... Maybe a ♮ bewteen parentheses ?
- m15 and m17, after checking, I'm pretty sure there is no note an octave higher, but the two pulse channels are playing the same thing but out of sync to make this echo feeling like we were in a cave. Maybe it is this effect that make you hear it this way?

After checking the whole LH part, there are other measures that are different than the way I wrote them... But if I write them to sound like they should sound, it's pretty ugly (the ugliest things imo are underlined in red in the screenshot below)... With a lot of 16th rests and 16th notes... Maybe by making groups, it could be better but still...

Work in progress:

Previous version:

I didn't check the whole RH so far but anyway, I think that maybe some articulations (whether the note should be maintained in time or not) should be left to the pianist for clarity's sake...

Kricketune54

From your red highlights though, you can beam together a beat 1.0 8th note to a beat 1.75 16th note, for example. The note beam will just be above 16th rest between the notes. Same goes for a 3.25 note and a 3.75 note, as seen at m13.

This article might be of assistance if you have further questions on beaming, it doesn't quite cover rests but the same principles apply. https://www.musicnotes.com/blog/note-beaming-and-grouping-in-music-theory/

Quote- You mean in the LH? I've checked, the A# lasts an 8th, so there is a 16th rest next to it!
My apologies I have no idea what I was referring to here lol

Quote- m8 LH beat 4.5, tbh I know there is an En but my guess was that this En was a mistake just forgotten by the composer because it's kind of wierd! ^^' But maybe it's not... Maybe a ♮ bewteen parentheses ?
I don't think it is a mistake - it's a good progression note leading into the next chord, F# minor. And no parentheses, as that implies that En was a part of the key signature to begin with.

Quotem15 and m17, after checking, I'm pretty sure there is no note an octave higher, but the two pulse channels are playing the same thing but out of sync to make this echo feeling like we were in a cave. Maybe it is this effect that make you hear it this way?
That certainly could be the case - I'm not one to typically check channels usually, but if that's the effect you are picking up from them, I guess that's the reason it sounds that way to me.

Let me know when your latest file is up or if other clarifications are needed! Especially for those note beams

Kricketune54

Bump for arranger, are you still around to work on this? I think from your previous message I was looking to see your updated files

Fullmetalgrudo

Hi, sorry for letting that work not updated that long! I've just made these beams for every parts underlined in red and I made several modifications for the right hand in order to be more accurate with the original piece:

- m2 beat 4.0 note shortened
- m3 beat 2.75 note extended
- m4 beat 1.5 notes unbeamed
- m4 beat 4.0 note shortened
- m6 beat 2.0 beam made
- m10 beats 1.0, 2.0 and 3.75 notes shortened
- m12 beat 2.25 stacatto added
- m12 beat 3.5 note shortened
- m13 beat 4.5 note shortened
- m16 beat 3.0 stacatto added
- m16 beats 3.75 and 4.25 notes shortened

Ah, and I've put the E natural on LH at the end of the measure 8 (although it's quite unexpected compared to an E sharp).

I've also updated the midi, pdf and mus files. But since I struggle using Finale NotePad, there are some glitches I've didn't managed to change (stacattos on beat 1 measures 5 and 7 and also the sixteenth rest which is too high) and for that reason, the pdf is directly made from Musescore (which is free and way better than Finale NotePad, just saying...).

PS: I've find out how to use the style file to make the sheet look like the NSM standard, I'll make those modifications soon!

Fullmetalgrudo

Okay I updated the files after I made some adjustements :

- Applied the NSM [MU4] v2.3.A4 style file (and it did some unwanted changes that's why I made the following things)
- Added a system break every 2 measures
- Adjusted the width of the last measure to the value of 2
- Re-added composer and arranger in the right place
- Deleted the "Pia." in front of each system

As usual, the .mus file is not good so the pdf is from Musescore and by the way I had the following message when importing the XML:

"Attribute "type" with value "grace-cue" must have a value from the list "cue grace large "."

Edit: Oh gosh... I see some beams missing on the left hand -_- I should have checked!...

- Added beams on the LH on beat 2 for m14, m15 and m16 (and reuploaded the files ^^")

Kricketune54

Sorry for the wait on my response (a bit beyond what I was hoping to take), I don't have too much more to say though from looking over the files. Anything off you are seeing with the file conversion, I can make edits to upon approving this sheet if that's okay with you (would use the MuseScore/MuseScore PDF for visual reference)

• Looks like there's still some LH beaming missing on beat 4 in a few places - m2, m4-6. As well as m13 LH beat 3 the 16th's on 3.5 and 3.75 should beam together.
• In the RH I think you could also beam m3 3.25 to 3.5, m5 1.5 to 2.0, m9 1.5 and 2.5 together, and in m14 RH, 1.5 and 2.5 together, and 3.5 to 4.0.
• A suggestion, but m1 and m6 RH the grace notes are going to be a bit hard to play at speed and then smoothly play the next notes - I would suggest omitting the lower grace note on these beats on playability grounds.

• I'm still hearing RH m15 beat 2 and m17 beat 2 the way I mentioned in my Jan. 17 2024 post - I know it's been a while since this was brought up but we can see what the next updater thinks on this one.

Fullmetalgrudo

Hi!

I agree for the beaming on LH. I don't though for those on RH.

m3 3.25 to 3.5: I disagree because on 3.5 it's another idea that starts (a new "rythmic cell" I would say).
m5 1.5 to 2.0: You mean on m6? Maybe I could beam those notes but may be confusing since it's on different beats...
m9 1.5 and 2.5 together: You mean on m10 maybe? I don't see anything that is worth beaming imo.
m14 1.5 and 2.5 together: I disagree because I think there is no need to do so... The way they are now shows clearly they are upbeats. Beaming them would just be confusing imo.
m14 3.5 to 4.0: Same thought than m5 (or 6)...

And I'm willing to keep all grace notes ^^'

About m15 and m17, I show you on the nsf file I used (the beats are highlighted in blue):

Measure 15, beats 1 to 3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-p3cdGsk2qY24ds2CLPb_LI7aZ0rXjya/view?usp=drive_link

Beat 2 and 1/3 is on row 2C and it's the same octave as beat 2 on row 21 (the row numbers are in hexadecimal). You also hear a third note which would be on row 36 but even if I isolate the square channels, I don't hear anything except a continous sound. But I see what could be noted as a stacatto for beat 3 on RH (I add it).

Measure 17 beats 2 to 4:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-p3cdGsk2qY24ds2CLPb_LI7aZ0rXjya/view?usp=drive_link

Beat 3 and 1/3 is on row 4C, and the 3rd 1/3 is on row 56, but same thing here (no octaviation or 3rd note heard).

A little tuto for reading it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DAlqpZV95Zqc2LepJkFjPJ-ehDjr_8Cg/view?usp=drive_link

Fullmetalgrudo

Update:

- Staccato added on RH m15 beat 3
- Beaming done for LH m2, 4, 5 and 6 on beat 4 as well as m13 on beat 3.25

Kricketune54

Quote from: Fullmetalgrudo on May 05, 2024, 06:04:02 AMm3 3.25 to 3.5: I disagree because on 3.5 it's another idea that starts (a new "rythmic cell" I would say).
That's fine and makes sense after reviewing the sheet again.

Quote from: Fullmetalgrudo on May 05, 2024, 06:04:02 AMm5 1.5 to 2.0: You mean on m6? Maybe I could beam those notes but may be confusing since it's on different beats...
Yeah this was probably supposed to be m6. But I think for reason above for m3 it's good to leave as is.

Quotem9 1.5 and 2.5 together: You mean on m10 maybe? I don't see anything that is worth beaming imo.
m14 1.5 and 2.5 together: I disagree because I think there is no need to do so... The way they are now shows clearly they are upbeats. Beaming them would just be confusing imo.

m14 3.5 to 4.0: Same thought than m5 (or 6)...
Yeah sorry not sure why I miswrote two separate measures in a row. But After reviewing the rest of the sheet's beaming I'll agree that m10 and m14 those 8th notes are fine as is.

Quote from: Fullmetalgrudo on May 05, 2024, 06:04:02 AMAbout m15 and m17, I show you on the nsf file I used (the beats are highlighted in blue):

Measure 15, beats 1 to 3:
Spoiler
[close]

Beat 2 and 1/3 is on row 2C and it's the same octave as beat 2 on row 21 (the row numbers are in hexadecimal). You also hear a third note which would be on row 36 but even if I isolate the square channels, I don't hear anything except a continous sound. But I see what could be noted as a stacatto for beat 3 on RH (I add it).

Measure 17 beats 2 to 4:
Spoiler
[close]

Beat 3 and 1/3 is on row 4C, and the 3rd 1/3 is on row 56, but same thing here (no octaviation or 3rd note heard).

A little tuto for reading it:

Your screenshots are not appearing for me. As far as the nsf files/what is there I'd like someone else to give us a check if we can't agree, but I won't let it hold up my approval. With your permission I will copy your musescore file and reupload Finale source files to this submission so that the next updater can review.

Fullmetalgrudo

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 09, 2024, 01:13:17 PMYour screenshots are not appearing for me. As far as the nsf files/what is there I'd like someone else to give us a check if we can't agree, but I won't let it hold up my approval. With your permission I will copy your musescore file and reupload Finale source files to this submission so that the next updater can review.

I changed the screenshots for links instead, maybe it works now?

I send you the Musescore file on Discord!

Thanks!

Kricketune54

Files were updated on this sheet by Fullmetalgrudo and are formatted in Finale

NineLives

This can be up for debate by the updaters, but I think the title should be changed from "Himalayas" to "The Himalayas" instead, since that's how it'd be referred to in reality. It's also how it is titled in the soundtrack for the remake. This could be a bigger discussion for other songs, like "The Amazon" for example, but that can be saved for later date.

Fullmetalgrudo